Sour Milk and Septic Systems?

Could sour milk be beneficial to a septic system?

By BUb from WA

Answers

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 290 Feedbacks
Best Answer

We had our first house built and it had a septic tank since our town at the time didn't have city sewers.
Septic systems are not totally maintenance free as some would think. My husband was at work the one day and I had noticed black sludge was backing into our bathtub. Being a young bride at the time I started to panic, so I called my husband at work. We had to hire a septic cleaning company to suck out the tank.

At the price of baking yeast you'd be a lot further ahead to purchase a box of Rid-X and flush down your toilet once a month. Rid-X contains a lot more bacteria than several packages of yeast.

Whether you are on a septic system or city sewers, NEVER! NEVER! POUR GREASE DOWN A DRAIN. It will eventually harden and will plug up a septic system or city sewers.

Best Answer

Your septic tank is really a big compost pile. Dont put anything into it that you couldnt add to a compost pile. The object of the tank is a storage facility for its contents to sit in until they rot. Anything you add to it has to decompose just like the natural stuff thats already in there.

I wouldn't add yeast or sour milk as they will only need to be digested by the natural bacteria that has to digest the other matter in the tank. dont add any bleach or chemicals that will kill your bacteria. If you do, you'll need to add Rid X or other brand product to reintroduce the good bacteria to your tank. Be careful about what kind of toilet paper you use. Don't forget that you want one that will rot easily and decompose easily in water.

also, toilet bowl cleaners are made for commodes where there are no septic systems. Manufacturers will sell anything to people who will buy their product. They will even make you feel as if you actually NEED to have that product even when its harmful to your septic system. I use a very little Comet cleanser to clean my toilet bowl. Flylady, the cleaning guru, says to use shampoo. Either of those products will not be as harmful to the bacteria in your tank as cleaner made for the toilet bowl.

Don't think about what to add. Think more about what NOT to put in your septic system and you'll be better off. Nature makes things rot naturally. Try not to interfere with the natural bacterial action and you will be better off. Best of luck.

Best Answer

All my internet research indicates that YES, the yeast in the septic system works well for digesting Sugars and starches that you might find there. However the more interesting quality of the yeast is that it WOULD work well with the sour milk. The bacteria in the sour milk creates a symbiotic relationship with the yeast in the septic system.

Therefore, yes the sour milk would be good for the septic system. These same yeasts and bacterias are the basis for sour dough starters, sauerkraut etc. Plus, it's a SEPTIC system. To put it plainly, your poop is full of the right bacteria already. Probably worse. I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

Best Answer

Well I have 37 septic systems. The word from college studies suggest you do not use ant additives whatsoever. Schedule the tank to be pumped out every five years. At the second five see how much solids are in. You can then very the next time maybe 3 years or maybe 8. Wht not add bacteria? The studies show that the bacteria or enzymes eat up the solids to a degree....the liquefied goes into you leach fields.

Causing the leach fields to fail. That is far more expensive then pumping out. And you save in the bacteria. Various municipalities require permits for replacement fields which adds to the cost.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Septic TankSeptember 23, 2021
🌻
🎃
🎂
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Sour-Milk-and-Septic-Systems-1.html