Remembering My Login

Every time I want to post on here I can't remember my name or password. Is there a way of keeping these somewhere on my PC but safe from hackers? Please don't tell me just to write them on a paper. I have started several times and never can find it when I want it. I don't understand PC's very well but I would like to try keeping my list on it. I keep many things on paper but never get around to "filing" them.

Thanks,
Pam in RI from RI

My best advice is to always use the same username and password, no matter what site you are signing up for. Then you don't have to remember something different for each place, and you will always remember it. I use my screenname everywhere, or if that is taken, I use my first and middle initial and my last name. I ALWAYS use the same password, no matter what. It saves me a lot of hassle!!

I have google and I just put my passwords and names in a email to myself then move it to

new folder named PASS it makes my life easier.

I don't recommend making them all the same.

Tip to stop lots of emails that are junk is having

a number or two at start of your user name.

oops imeant i have YAHOO

My trick is to put my passwords in a small address book, alphabetized by the name of the website.

I use the same password on all sites. If it wants you to add numbers I add the year 2006 or year of birth. Easier that way. If you cant get your hands on a piece of paper write on your computer tower! lol I write on my printer case. Its within reach :)

When I sign up for a newsletter such as Thrifty Tips, whatever user name and password I choose, I send myself an email with the name "Thriftytips", my user name and password or password hint in the "subject" line of the new email. Then, when I get the email I "save as" to a folder I called Memberships. Then, when I can't remember what I used, I open the Membership folder and find what I need alphabetically. It's right there and I don't even have to open the email.

I also put the Memberships folder on my quick launch toolbar to get into it quickly.

Something I started doing 10-12 years ago. I got a 4x6 acrylic card file with alphabetical dividers. I can pull a card out and clip it to a file if I want, xerox it, or lay it beside my computer for reference. In fact, the one I use most has my credit card numbers, expiration dates of each, and 3-digit number from the back. I also keep my bank routing number and account number on this card. Can't tell you how often I use it! In fact, it's the first card in the file - not filed alphabetically. Since I order a lot on-line, it saves me tons of time! Too, if the computer crashes, my information is not locked up inside and possibly lost! Had a lot of people where I worked for 31 years copy this idea.

I use Roboform and love it. It keeps all my passwords and logins ready to use.

http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page7.html

Then enter this registration code: f80f47fbbf46

Make sure you go into "options" in roboform, then "other" and uncheck the box for "notify about new versions" and that way you won't get notifications of upgrades. When you upgrade, that's when you end up with less passcards.

There you have it... roboform pro... no limits !!!

I use the same one for MOST sites. Of course if it is

something really important, then I use something different!

When I first got my computer, I bought an address book. I still use it ALL the time, really simple.

I have used an address book for years.....write in pencil

I use one username and password for all "serious" sites like banking and credit cards and a different one for "fun" sites like thriftyfun.com. If I have to add a number I always add the same thing.

I'd say it would probably be safe to save a file on your computer with your "fun" usernames and passwords. I doubt hackers are going to go after your thriftyfun account.

I really like the idea of emailing yourself the information, expecially if you have to enter a password to read your email. Many sites email you your username and password automatically anyway. I use Outlook, though, so it would be easy for somebody to find this information since you don't have to enter a password. I wouldn't save my "serious" username and password in Outlook.

Use a post it with your user names and passwords and stick it to the side of your computer or tape it to the side of your computer. If you don't want anyone else to see your passwords then tape the paper to the underside of your desk. Add new user new names and passwords right away; it only takes a second.

Also,I send an email to myself with the names and passwords and file it in my yahoo account. It is good to keep both on paper and a file as computers can crash and you could lose all your computer files so always have a paper back up.

I found it easy to remember my login passwords and names by posting it on my computer (notepad), so whenever I don't remember a password or user name for a site, I refer to "notepad".

I put them in a rolodex

I bought a file box that holds 3x5 cards. I also bought the hard plastic A-Z dividers. Then I bought 3x5 cards. This is my address book. I write things like the bank and its address and # in pen or permanment marker. Things like family member's # and addy in pencil. On the back, I put their kids' ages, birthdays and sometimes fave book, band, actor/actress, etc...that'll help for birthday and Christmas gifts. If the family member moves, has more children, divorces, I can erase the unneeded info and add correct info. This also works for sites. You can also colour code infos. Blue for family, pink for friends, green for work, etc. Pick your fave colour for sites. Write them in pencil. I'd put the site's name, when you signed up, your user name, password, and if need be the security question and answer on there as well.

why don't you use your old address numbers, or old phn number , or something that means something to you,, your first love...ect....grandmothers name ect...all things simple to remember because it may have a special meaning to you....and always use the same one where ever you make a user and password

I really like the idea about using a 3x5 card file for keeping up with phone numbers, addresses, etc. Great idea.

For what it's worth this is what I do. Whenever I sign up for a site most of them will give you the option of "remembering" your password. I always check yes. Then usually all you have to do is click on a "login" button.

Also, I opened a Word Document and I keep a list of all my passwords there. You would think that this would be a simple solution, but believe it or not I actually crashed my computer several times, loosing all my passwords, before this idea dawned on me. I just back up the document on my portable memory stick.

Portable memory sticks are wonderful, too. I wish I had used them before I started having computer problems. I do artwork on my computer and lost about 35 of my "pictures" earlier this year. Because pictures take up so much space I bought a memory stick for my picture type stuff and one for my document type stuff.

OK - I think I'm rambling. Hope there is some helping information in here.

Take care.

TonyaG

Computers TipsMay 24, 2006
Remembering Your Glasses
Remembering Your Glasses
Computer login window.
Remembering Usernames and Passwords
Closeup of Pills in Weekly Medication Organizer
Remembering to Take Medicine
A man looking at his smartphone calendar.
Remembering Appointments
🎉
🎄