WildlifeGreen Living

Is This a Toad?

Can anyone tell us if this is a toad or a frog? I think it's a little toad, but someone else thinks it's a tree frog. We found it outside our office complex where we have a large pond/wetlands and prairie setting. He's so little!

By Mary Moo from Bolingbrook, IL

Here's how you can tell: a toad is bumpy and stumpy and a frog is smooth and somewhat elongated in shape. That one looks like a toad.

Frogs lay eggs in ponds. When they hatch they are tadpoles, then they turn into pollywogs, then they change into frogs.

Toads, which your little guy is, don't do the tadpole-pollywog thing, and their offspring look like the little fellow in your hand. Let him go, and he will return to eat all the horrid bugs in your garden.

Tree frogs are very sticky and don't usually grow to be very big.(Not that I've seen anyway!)

He looks like the tiny guys I use to catch in fields when I was a kid. The rain water would puddle & these guys were everywhere. I think it's a frog. Very good things to have in your yard. I have a friend who's had a pair of frogs in her back yard for years. They croak now & then & hide under a particular rock during the day. If you had a good place to put him in your yard. I'd take him home. I just love frogs & toads.

Last year when my son was in 6th grade.His middle school has a spot with cattails and just a little bit of water in it but there is a pond farther over and there were hundreds of them the kids would step on them when they had gym because they were so tiny. I can't remember the name of them but his science teacher told him they were frogs.

Yes! You are holding an American Toad. They are wonderful little trillers who make lovely music. We have an artificial pond in the back yard, and they sit underneath the flat stone that forms a tiny waterfall and trill away. They are especially vocal when it rains. If I hear them start up when I'm outside doing something I knew to grab everything and get to cover--rains coming! He will get much larger. You have a very young one in your hand.