Scrubbing Sponge Left Scratches on Car Windshield

My daughter was trying to help, but took a brand new scrubby sponge (scratchy side) to the hood and windshield of my 2002 Grand Caravan. Now there are scratches all over it! My concern is getting the scratches off of the windshield. Any help?

By Patty from Kentland, IN

Probably can be buffed out, may take a professional.

This picture looks like scratches on the hood and that will need professional care to be permanently repaired. Do you have a picture of the actual scratches on the windshield? I can't imagine that a scrubby pad would make that bad of an of amount of scratches as this photo is showing on a glass windshield. Diamonds are the only element I know of that could scratch glass that badly. ;-) Being that it's an older car unless the scratches on the glass are severely impairing driving vision I wouldn't sweat it.

Take your car to a professional detailer and get their take on this. Good luck.

You may have to get a new windshield but for the hood, you could take it to a car detailer, they should be able to polish/buff the scratches out. Good Luck!

Check with a local body shop. You can even check with a local tech school/college where things like this are learning tools. Cost is much less too. I had 2 sons go through these programs and you would be surprised at what people do, what you can use, etc. Did you know your toilet plunger is used to pull out door dents? Just as good as the professional door puller!

I've seen some products advertised in mail order catalogs that you rub on eye glasses to make the scratches disappear. I don't know the name of the product, but I think it's like a pencil. Maybe something like that would work. Good luck!

Try a rubbing compound on the hood. I'm not sure about the glass. Call and ask a professional.

Thank you for all of your posts! I don't know how or why but the scrubby sponge scratched the windshield!

I don't get it either! I am going to take it to a body shop or as one suggested a college.

I am just boggled!

Consumer Advice Cars AdviceAugust 27, 2010
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
Windshield wiper tip on windshield
Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
🎄