Cooking Turkey in a Clay Baker

By suebill 1

How long do you cook a turkey for in a clay baker pan? Also at what temperature?

Thank you,

Susan

Showing: Answers Sort

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel 10 2,498 Flag

Hello,

I can't find anything about cooking a whole turkey in a clay cooker. Below are links for clay baking. The second is from one of the clay cooker websites.

The important thing with clay cooking is not preheating the oven before putting in the cooker and having the cooker presoaked with water for at least 15 minutes. Once the cooker is soaked, add what you want to cook.

I've cooked whole chickens in the cookers and they were delicious but you must have a very big one to fit a turkey. You may want to cut it into smaller pieces. These sites may help give you an idea how long to cook it, temperatures, etc.

http://homecooking.about.com/library/weekly/aa030899a.htm

http://fantes.com/romertopf.htm#poultryandgame

Happy Thanksgiving!

Susan

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Hello Susan,

Well, here goes. I have a clay cooker cast in the shape of a turkey. I got it about 1970. It holds a turkey up to about 13 3/4 pounds, maybe even 14 pounds. I've only cooked a turkey in it since I got it, not by any other means. I do a fully stuffed bird in 3 hours at 400 degrees f. About an hour and a half into cooking, I take it out, drain off the accumulated juices in the bottom, and put it back into the oven. And then do the same about half an hour before it's finished. I coat the bird and the inside of the lid with butter, before putting the cooker in the oven, so as the wings and upper body will not stick to the lid. Other than that, there's nothing else to attend to. The most difficult part, is getting the bird out of the bottom half, when removing it for carving. But, it's been foolproof all these years. So, try it and enjoy!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Holidays and Parties ThanksgivingNovember 25, 2004
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Cooking a Turkey in Your Oven, A turkey in the oven.
Cooking Ham and Turkey in the Same Oven
A cooked turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in a Slow Cooker (Crockpot)
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 8:28:45 AM on 10.0.0.168 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings