Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Making Your Own Coffee Packets

To save messing with coffee grounds while camping in our RV, I would like to make coffee pouches ahead of our trips. Then I could just place them in the coffeepot and throw away the used pouch when done. Has anyone done this?

By JLEricson

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By karibari09/09/2009

Our organic store in town has drawstring bags for tea or coffee in several different sizes. may want to check that option out. Possibly even on line. And can be reused if so desire. I use also for my pickling spices while canning and will reuse that one for that purpose only.

By Paula Jo C. [6]05/29/2009

I have been doing this very thing for years. Just take some throw away paper coffee filters - put the amount of coffee that is required to make a full pot - staple them closed (I fold it where it only requires one to three staples) and throw away the home made "coffee pod" when the pot is done brewing.

Very cost wise, very frugal and very easy! You can take your used coffee grounds to either fertilize your in door plants OR throw the used grounds on your lawn to get grass to grow in the bald spots in the yard. (I know this does work as I have done it myself and with great success).

Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up doing ok?

By Marilyn J Ference [4]05/29/2009

I have to preface my suggestion by saying what I do when cooking corned beef (go ahead and laugh). I don't like all of the spices floating around in the water so I take 2 regular coffee filters, put the spices in and carefully staple it closed! There is no metal taste that gets transferred so I think it could also be done with coffee. When you're done brewing just throw it away, or open it up and dump the grounds around your campsite and you'll be enriching the grounds there (no pun intended)!

By Anonymous [848]05/29/2009

JLEricson, you said you tried to sew the coffee filters once and had a hard time keeping the coffee grounds in but if you use cone filters like siris suggests all you have to do is fold (double fold if you like) the top portion of the cone filter top, press the fold well with your finger or fingernail and you shouldn't have a problem with keeping the grounds from falling out while sewing/basting it closed then ;-)

I, too, had never heard of the tea bag pouches for individual servings. Love the idea and will get some! Have one of the Melita single cup coffee makers. the kind that has a filter basket that sits over the coffee cup that you place a filter and coffee grounds into and then pour hot water in. It would be so much easier to just drop a filled tea bag into the filter or even directly into the cup of hot water ;-)

By shirley dobie [4]05/28/2009

Never thougjt of it but it sounds like a great idea.
I would buy cone shaped filters and run a line of stitching across the folded top (after you put your scoops of coffee in). Yes, you can sew paper, use the longest stitch.

By Sandi [390]05/28/2009

I think this lady is not looking for a sewn pouch to make for the coffee grounds, I think she is asking for help making coffee pouches. These are often called "pods" and they are made from a fiber that allows the coffee to be brewed but then tossed, saving the coffee lover the mess from filter, etc. She did say to be able to put them in the coffee pot, so I think that is it.

If I am right, I am not sure how to make them. However, if you were to get some plastic containers like the ones that your tarter sauce and things like that come in (at restaurant supply stores), that have lids. You can then simply measure the coffee you would need for each pot and have them available. Good luck!

By Jean [5]05/28/2009

Hello Seamstress - I also love drawstring bags (I'm a "keep-it-contained" person) and appreciate the suggestion of storing food in them as we have a Roadtrek and need to conserve space. Also, Dj402 - I will get on Ebay and look for those tea packets...never heard of them before. I tried sewing the coffee filters once and found it difficult to keep the grounds where they belonged while sewing. Thanks to all who replied!

By Judi [17]05/25/2009

I like the idea of sewing them. I'd use old cotton fabric and make a long tube. As you add the right amount to the tube, shake it down and sew 2 rows of stitches close together. Add another bit of coffee and make 2 more rows. When you're finished with that tube cut between the rows of stitching. Should work, don't you think?

By Julie [49]05/25/2009

I bet if you sew you could cut out white fabric sheets in one long square and bring up the end of it even to the top and sew up just the two sides then turn it inside out and turn down the top of it and stitch around it >leaving an opening for to insert a white narrow satin or nylon ribbon so you end up with drawstring tops then you can add your coffee grounds. Pull the string closed and leave enough length of the string to allow for putting in your cup or dunking it. After your done, empty out the grounds. Wash the bags in the water, and save and reuse. Much like the fabric bags we had as kids that held bubble gum inside.

I make drawstring bags of all sizes for different reasons like tooth fairy bags/to hold jewelry when traveling/medicines etc. We do a lot of camping in our 30 ft motor home and I make them to house flour/cornmeal/dry beans/rice/instant potatoes etc. And wash them and reuse so I would think using them for that purpose would work as well. The only thing so far I have used them for in wet uses are for the freezer and have put crushed ice in them so my grandson can have a small size slushie to use. He pours out the ice into a cup adds koolaid to it and I just wash the bags and reuse and we also use them for little ice packs on boo boos, etc. I use white 100% cotton fabric to make mine. Hope that helps.

By Lauren Bayles05/25/2009

Good idea. I know you can buy little filter pouches to make your own tea bags. Maybe you could use those. They might even make one larger than standard tea bag size.

By Dori05/25/2009

Hi, I used to make individual packets for one cup of coffee. I purchased teabags on Ebay I think, and inserted my favorite coffee and ironed them shut (not all empty teabags are sold ironable). I just poured boiling water into the cup and packet and it was like fresh brewed. For a whole pot of coffee I believe they make larger teabags (do an Ebay or google search to find). Maybe you could also try experimenting with thin muslin bags which are easy to sew and are also sold on line. Good Luck! dori

By Bev05/25/2009

How did you make coffee pouches?