Making Glittered Poinsettias

The glittery, sometimes dyed poinsettias for sale around the holidays can be relatively expensive. There are some methods you can try at home to make your own unique version and maybe even save some money. This is a guide about making glittered poinsettias.

dyed pastel poinsettias with glitter

Question:

I love those glitter covered, colored poinsettias. Last Christmas they were $4.99, this past Christmas the price went up to $15.99. Outrageous! Does anyone know how to make these at home? I tried spray glitter, but very little stuck. I don't know what kind of paint to use that would not kill the plant. I know the color is something applied because new growth comes in green.

Curious Cat from South Norfolk, VA

Answer:

Curious Cat,

Try your local craft store, any discount store with a floral department, or search the web for floral supply companies. They should all sell the non - toxic spray glues and colored flower paints that florists use to dress up poinsettias around the holidays. The glitter is nothing specific, just plain old glitter in the color of your choice.

If you plan on keeping your poinsettia longer than a few weeks, you are better off looking for a variety that has been bred to have color, rather then one that has been painted or dressed up in glitter (both interfere with the respiration and transpiration of the plant). Once covered in glitter or paint, the dressed up plants won't live longer than a couple of weeks, no matter how 'non - toxic' the glue is. Or, to extend its life, you might also consider leaving your poinsettia natural for Christmas and then dressing it up for New Years with some silver glitter.

A few years back I remember the arrival of lime green cultivars and then the next year suddenly blue became the 'it' color. This year (around here) it was natural harvest colors and 'Barney' purple with gold glitter. Poinsettias are long - lasting, so the cultivars bred in harvest colors made a wonderful (and practical) addition to our Thanksgiving décor. Will crazy - colored Easter lilies (pink, baby blue, yellow?) appear in the stores for spring?

Have fun!

Ellen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know if they still make the transparent spray paint and spray glue for flowers, But Design Master had some beautiful colors when I worked as a floral designer.Also you can try food coloring in water ,dip the flower tops in a bucket add the glitter and set to dry. Or some cut flowers will draw the dye up through the stems.Give a fresh cut to the flowers and put in dye water over night. Here is the Poinsettia my daughter gave me in 2006.. It died within 2 weeks. :( GG,Vi

Read More Answers...
Crafts FloralJune 29, 2014
Foam Cone Poinsettia Tree
Making a Foam Cone Poinsettia Tree
Paper Poinsettias Wreath
Making a Paper Poinsettias Wreath
Growing Poinsettia
Growing Poinsettia
Poinsettias
Selecting and Caring for Poinsettias
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 3:50:39 PM on 10.0.1.253 in 453 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.