Protecting Silk Flowers at Gravesites

Category Floral
While they will definitely last longer, the elements eventually will cause artificial flowers to fade and become tattered. This is a guide about protecting silk flowers at gravesites.

With Memorial Day soon approaching, I wanted to share this tip for silk flower arrangements. Spray with a couple coats of WD-40 to help repel water from rain and sprinklers, and to protect silk flowers' colors from fading due to sunlight. After spraying with WD-40, the silk flowers or greenery will stay beautiful and vibrant for a longer period of time while placed near your loved one's grave.

The silk flowers I place on grave sites seem to fade very fast in the sun. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the colors stay brighter longer?

Answers

By carla bledsoe (Guest Post)

don'tknow how well this works but i read it elsewhere: spray the flowers with wd40. it makes them waterproof and holds the colors (so they say)

i'd try it on a flower that fell off or something like that first, but you just never know till you try!! good luck, carla in missouri

I know something that i think will help. Try spraying them with 2 coats of shellac/lacquer while they are still new. Let them dry completely between coats. I've done this for things I was going to put in my yard or even inside near a window that gets a lot of sunlight. It should help with the silk flowers not to fade so quickly. Good luck.

By margaret (Guest Post)

Every year i go out and put fresh silk flowers on 16 graves and i pick out light color ones as i have found they dont fade as fast as the dark ones and they last up to one year

Thompsons water seal clear multi surface. spray on the arrangement. The flowers last! . I take care of 23 graves( 3 cemeteries ) and mostly saddle arrangements . We changed them about 5 times per year depending what holiday it is and use Thompson.

.I reuse the flowers every year. When I take them off I will wash with soap and water .when they dry store in a tote. Next year spray them and put them back on the graves.

To liven up my silk flowers I purchase a variety of spray can paints and give them a touch up which works fine for me, goodluck

Spray Scotchgard fabric protector on them to help with fading from sun.