Gravesite Decoration Ideas

Category Inspirational
When honoring your loved ones by adorning their last resting place, you need to follow the gravesite rules. This page is about gravesite decoration ideas.

I made a "Memory Jar" to sit on my son's grave. It is made of a glass jar with weatherproof pop-top. I painted "Chad's Memory Jar" on the outside. I put a stack of 3x3 inch blank paper inside with a pen. I tied a nice ribbon around the neck of the jar and tied the jar to the gravestone. Now when friends and family visit, they can put their memories of him inside.

By vickie guy from Earle, AR

I created a nice cemetery garland for my in-laws' grave, using holly branches, various evergreen branches, some bare branches sprayed white, berries, and a pretty bow.

It was pretty simple to make, but felt so nice to decorate their site, remembering fondly the holidays we shared for so many years.

Total Time: 1/2 hour

• cut holly branches ($0)
  • pine branches ($0)
  • berries on branches ($0)
  • and spray some bare branches with white paint or fake snow ($1.00)
  • wire ($1.00)
  • ribbon ($1.00)

1. Choose your favorites and just divide the branches and place them-half facing left and half facing right.
  2. Wrap wire around the middle.
  3. Add the white branches. I liked to add mine upright but you may lay them down with the evergreen, if you'd like.
  4. Decorate with berry branches and wrap a bow around the center.

Every year we make grave decorations for our loved ones who have passed away. Here is this year's decoration. These cones are available for sale in some dollar stores. Add some foam, sprigs of evergreens, holly, berries, a pine cone or two, possibly white spray painted branches, and a nice ribbon and it's a nice decoration.

I need to know how I go about making an old cowboy hat into a decoration that will stand being outside at a gravesite?

By KIMBERLY from Apache Junction, AZ

Answers

Have you thought about painting it inside and out with polyurethane, or even clear shellac?

You can try a tiny bit of what you want to try on a small spot on the inside, maybe under the sweat band, to make sure it won't damage the hat.

That was the thought that i had had. Thanks I will try that.

I would hate for it to be damaged by the elements, though in Arizona (I was born there, live in KY now) the most damaging element is the sun. You need to find something that would protect it from the sun, and polyurethane will be damaged by the sun.

If it is really important to you, maybe you could get it bronzed. Everybody used to do that with their baby's first pair of shoes. There are people that still do it. I am a notorious penny pincher and sometimes as much as it hurts, it pays to just spend the money.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Each year in November, our community provides the Christmas Wreaths that are placed on all of the headstones of the Veterans and their spouses. The volunteers return in January to retrieve and store the wreaths for future use.

By Edie C from Killeen, Texas

Cemetery Christmas Wreaths (Central Texas Veteran's Cemetery, Killeen, Texas)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 18

This is a page about protecting silk flowers at gravesites. While they will definitely last longer, the elements eventually will cause artificial flowers to fade and become tattered.

grave cross made of artificial flowers

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Better Living InspirationalNovember 5, 2013
🍀
💘

Generated 2020-01-13 12:13:59 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️