Vacationing Close to Home

With gas prices so high, consider taking a vacation somewhere close to home. You not only spend less money on gas, but you will also spend less time on the road and more time at your destination.

When I became ill many years ago, this was my only choice. However, there were so many great places and thngs to do nearby, I have had a ball. Since I live in Pasadena, I actually live where people travel from all over and spend a bundle to enjoy our Rose Parade, as well as all the other great things here.

I have learned that you can hop on the Internet and get information and mailings from Chambers of Commerce in nearly every town there is. Something cool like a Strawberry Festivel or an Avocado Festival is fun, especially if you're a big fan of strawberry shortcake or quacamole, as I am.

Dog trials and shows, parades, all kinds of interesting activities you never knew existed that got along without you all these years exist in profusion.

Because these places aren't at ground-zero-Disney, the costs of rooms, food and everything else is usually a lot less. Plus, you have interesting photos for your friends, who missed the really good times that were right under their noses. Tulip festival--what a sight!

So, search for nearby cities' websites or the websites of their Chambers. Sign up for regular mailings. Colleges have lots of activities, too, like theater and one-week classes, such as Art and Senior hostels on Vancoouver Island. Indiana Unversity has a Madrigal in early winter--unforgettable. The Tiki Society had a Tiki Pub Crawl, including a bus, in SFO, no less.

Party hearty, dude.

Vacationing At Home, Vacationing at home by camping in the backyard.
Vacationing At Home
Travel and Recreation TravelSeptember 17, 2005
A pink razor.
Shaving Your Bikini Area
Remembering Your Glasses
Remembering Your Glasses
Vacationing in Orlando, Orlando Cityscape
Orlando, FL Frugal Travel Guide
A large willow tree.
Solutions for a Willow Tree Planted Too Close to a Home