Discouraging Mailbox Vandalism

Our neighborhood has vandals smashing our mailboxes. A friend shared an idea on how to not need to buy a new mailbox each time it is smashed, by reinforcing it. Purchase a large metal mailbox, and a smaller size that can fit inside of the larger mailbox. Place the small one inside the larger and surround the smaller mailbox with cement. You can pour it in and let it dry. The next time the vandals come, they'll be in for a surprise. It worked!

By Wendy S. from Coopersburg, PA

Great idea! Thanks.

I agree with this idea, but BEWARE. At least in Ohio, we had an incident of a Doctor doing just what is suggested. The vandal broke his arm and in the emergency room, was treated by the very Doctor that owned the mailbox. The vandals parents sued the Doctor because their son was injured while on his property and they actually won. It's a shame our court system rewards criminal acts, but it does.

I found a piece of 10" pvc pipe about 16" long. I painted it flat black and slid my mailbox inside of it and mounted it. It looks like a piece of steel well casing. they dont mess with mine anymore

Good one! I laughed when I got to cement! So pathetic vandals think this is fun to do.

I love this idea but you do have to consider the liabilities. Perhaps you could paint a sign on it that reads, "warning attempting to damage this mailbox could result in extreme pain and possibly broken bones all of which we are not responsible for."

Be very careful about liability. I watched a true crime show on TV & the homeowner was liable for the injuries incurred to the idiots who hit the mailbox (I believe the 1 who did it was actually killed & the homeowner ended up in jail). Check with your local authorities before doing something so drastic. I like the idea of the PVC pipe though. I had many mailboxes destroyed over the years... mainly from being hit by a vehicle to having the door pulled down & shoved under so as to make it unusable.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Outdoor StructuresOctober 31, 2008
The rear license plate of a red car from California.
Discouraging Auto Tag Theft
Nice landscaping around a black mailbox.
Landscaping Around Your Mailbox
Old Mailbox
Uses for an Old Mailbox
maibox in garden
Using a Mailbox for Storing Garden Tools