Painting Bathroom With Light Pink Fixtures

I just got married, and we live in a house that was built in the 1800s. I am trying to make the place look better and have done the kitchen, office, and two bedrooms. Now I am on the hardest yet, the bathroom. I can only afford to repaint it right now. The ceiling is a very textured white with gold specs in it, the tub and sink are both light pink, and above the tub/shower there are light pink little tiles. I have no ideas on what colors to paint the walls and trim! Help!

Audrey from Maine

One bathroom in our "new" house had pink counter tops that my husband said we could not afford to replace. I painted the walls white (my wall color of choice) and added window valances of green with pink flowers and also did this for a valance over the tub. I prefer clear shower curtains so I don't have to wash in the dark! I hung dark forest green towels and used forest green rugs on the floor. My boys didn't mind using it since it was not too 'girly'. When the walls are white you can change the whole look with rugs, towels, cutrains and other accessories. That's easier for me than painting!

What about a retro style bathroom? Maybe paint the walls white with brown trim and aqua accents? I found this website: ... -bathroom-soothing-pretty-and-retro/

I also think it would be neat looking to paint the walls in black and white thick stripes.

If you are not interested in a retro look I found this website: ... should-i-do-with-this-pink-bathroom/

Hope this helps!

My neighbors have an old mansion that is on the historical register and they have to be very careful with anything that they renovate to keep it in the fashion of the time that it was built. They too had pink in a bathroom and had to research what was acceptable. They went with a charchol almost black trim with white walls except one wall with which they special ordered wallpaper from that era that had small flowers on it incorporating all the colors used to tie it together.

I think a creme color with chocolate brown accents might be nice

My hubby and I were dismayed at the pink fixtures in the bathroom of our first home, and like you had limited funds to deal with the problem. We used a black and white wallpaper in an eye-catching pattern and carpeted in gray. Incidentally, I wouldn't carpet a bathroom again, but at the time it was the cheapest way to cover a plywood subfloor. At any rate, I recommend the black and white color scheme to downplay the pastel effect of the pink.

We have a bathroom with pink fixtures, floor tile, and wall tile half way up the walls as well. I painted the walls sbove the tlle white, got a white shower curtain with green leaves on it, and bought two "botanical study" style posters of pink roses on a white background which I framed and hung on the walls. I got towels in a light sage green that compliments the leaves in the shower curtain and posters. Someday I hope to replace all the pink stuff, but it won't be any time soon. Going with the botanical theme really cleaned it up.

For a cottagey look I would go for maybe pale green, a friend of mine did exactly this and had white ceramic rosebud accessories and pale green and pink towels with a couple of plants as well it looked so cosy.

For a more striking look I would follow the white plus black trim advice.

Or for a total change pale pink and peach as I absolutely love pink and orange together so think the paler version could work ;-)....or maybe not

With a house that old I would say to use historic paint colors. Most paint brands will have a historic color collection that you can choose from. I would say white or a cream color on the ceiling and trim and maybe a green, blue or pale yellow on the walls.

You can get away with darker colors in the bathroom if it is a master bathroom with a lot of wall space.

Also check out this site: ... ainting/How_To_Paint_A_Bathroom.html

It will give you tips on how to paint the bathroom, tiles, shower, sink, fixtures, etc. That way you can spice up more than just the walls if you want to.

Have fun.

I had this same problem in my past. I used wallpaper, but you can accomplish the same idea with shower and window curtains. Choose a pattern you like with very minimal of the color you are forced to keep. ( I used a beige background with dogwood flowers which the only pink was in the center of the flower itself). I used white curtains. As for the ceiling, you can paint it to cover the gold flecks, and if you are really industrious you can minimize the use thinned drywall compound and a 6" to 12" trowel and go over the ceiling. You don't have to have it smooth, you could shoot for the venetian plaster look. Dice it up by choosing another color from the pattern for the towels and mats. I covered the color and broken tiles in the floor by using inexpensive 12" self-stick tiles in a wood tone. Turned out to be one of my favorite renovations!

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceAugust 8, 2008
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Bathroom Tiles
Bathroom Tile Color Advice
painting a ceiling
Keeping Paint Off Light Fixtures
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows