HealthDogs

Dog With Scleroderma

Category Health

Does anyone have a dog with Scleroderma? My dog is under full specialized Vet care for this condition. Because it is quite rare, I was wondering if anyone else on this site has had any experience with it.

By Syl from Canada

Do you mean Scleroderma? I haven't heard of it in dogs, but my Hubby has it and I know quite a bit, if it's Scleroderma. I'm signing up to get responses so I'll get a message if you respond.

Yup, I meant Scleroderma... sorry! I have heard of it in humans but it is very, very rare in dogs. In fact there wasn't a Vet in Winnipeg that could diagnose her...it took a specialist from the Quelph University Vets to do so and he continues to treat her through the internet with pictures and information provided by her Vet here in Winnipeg and myself. Is there a Scleroderma Support Group where you live?

Yes, we do have support groups in my area for Scleroderma in humans. We went to a few of the outings, but in the end I guess we chose to not be so consumed by the disease. The only thing we had in common with the others was the Scleroderma. He also has Lupus. They call it Mixed Connective Tissue Disorder. The Scleroderma has affected my husbands kidneys, pulmonary system, and his fingers and toes get very painful and turn purple and white during the winter(Raynauds Phenomenon). The Lupus is mostly in his brain. That one scares the hell out of me. He has had several organs biopsied. Both diseases are being controlled with several medicines, including Plaquenil, a few blood pressure meds and Prednisone. He also takes anti-seizure meds. I have no idea how your dog is being treated, but I wouldn't be surprised if his meds are similar. I had no idea dogs could be affected by it. I'm so sorry.

Sandy/Pittsburgh

Sandy, I'm so sorry to hear all your Hubby is going through. I would like to talk to you more about this but not on the computer. Would you e-mail me personally at sylviap1 AT mymts.net If not I'll check back here to see if you have left me a message. Syl