Wash and Store Lettuce Right After Buying

Wash lettuce when you come from the store. Shake it a little to remove excess water then put a clean folded tea towel into a large plastic bag (I use a plastic grocery bag). Insert lettuce and twist so no air can get in and put the bag in fridge. This keeps the lettuce crisp for at least a week. Since we have salad everyday, I always check the tea towel and replace it with a clean dry one if it gets damp.

By Chris from West Des Moines, IA

I went and bought those debbie mayer bags the green ones and they work. You can save your veggies a bit longer. I don't get lettuce that much not really into salads but when I do I use the bags. Worth the money and you can get them anywhere.

I like this idea! It's reusing the grocery bag and tea towels can be reused. Much better than buying those green bags which after using, just go to the landfill. I do use those bags when traveling but when home I sure like your idea better.

I love this idea - so much more eco-friendly than using paper towels for this purpose! Oh, yes - and don't forget to core your lettuce first by hitting the head of lettuce, core end down, of course, on the counter, then giving the core itself a sharp twist. Just like screwing off a bottle cap!

Food and Recipes StorageMarch 3, 2009
Iceberg Lettuce
Growing Iceberg Lettuce
Head of green leaf lettuce.
Washing Lettuce
Homemade Body Wash in a Bottle
Homemade Body Wash Recipes
Lettuce growing in a box.
Growing Lettuce
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 21, 2016 at 9:51:49 AM on 10.0.0.156 in 904 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.