Laminate Hardwood Floor Streaking

We just got Laminate Hardwood floors put in our house. The company that installed our floors told us to use this one product which leaves marks on the floor. I see greyish foot prints, mop marks, and where I sprayed the cleaner.

I searched on the web and saw many people use vinegar and water, but that did not work. Windex didn't work either. I was thinking about the Swiffer wet mop for hardwood floors. I just want to get rid of the grey markings on the floor and get them all shiny. Please help.

By linznac from Tampa, FL

I had the same problem, I tried all the cleaners and steam mops. I finally found a product called Lysol 4 in 1, it works great and also if you mop in the direction the laminate is laid.

Don't wash across the seams,this also helps

Did you use distilled water with the vinegar. The directions that I found said 4 oz vinegar to 32 oz distilled water. It works when nothing else did for me. Good Luck

My mother-in-law bought me a great mop, but I am told to put it in the washing machine after every few uses without any detergent. I use vinegar (quite a bit 1:2 ratio with water in a new empty spray bottle. However it is very important that you spray as you go, DO NOT use too much liquid. I cannot stress this enough, I find that is the cause of the streaking. If you aren't getting the floor cleaning only spray the unclean section repeated and try not to leave too wet.

If you get too much on then you will have to let it partially dry and then without anymore liquid or spray remop over it. Or perhaps its is or is on the mop that is the problem(an original agent on the mop when you received it or from past use?) The mop head I have is a 2 foot by half foot strip of with Velcro on one side and it is made of micro fiber that is 75%polyester 25%polyamide. Sorry I don't have a brand name.

June 8, 2009 Flag

When I read the many comments on laminate flooring streaking, leaving a bigger visual mess a few days after mopping etc., I was a bit relieved and a bit ticked off. We just bought a home with laminate flooring and I'm having the very same problems. Don't be so "perfectionistic", my husband states. But to me, having streaks and smudges on the floor is the same as a fingerprinted window, it's just not okay at all.

So my husband will be following me around, I will mop with vinegar and water and he will follow me with a dry mop, here's hoping that will do the trick. We have an open house here in just one week, thanks for the info.

Cheryl from Tacoma, WA

Answers:

Laminate Floor Streaking

We installed laminate floors in our whole house. What we find to be the most effective cleaner is Pledge Multisurface and a dust-mop. Streak free every time. (07/08/2008)

By Kathleen

Laminate Floor Streaking

I just wanted to let you know what I use on my hardwood floors. It's called Lamanator Plus. It's wonderful. Be careful with the vinegar and water. Water can damage a floor permanently. Eventually it will make the wood "raise" and the only way to fix it is refinishing the floor. I've been cleaning homes for 18 years and this is the best product that I have ever found. You can go online to order it. It's great. (07/08/2008)

By mistysmom

Laminate Floor Streaking

Try ( in a out of the way place) Windex. Just spray on and use a Swiffer style mop with a dry old wash cloth. Some laminate floors say right on the wrapping to use Windex. It works like a dream. Please check on a small area first though. Not all laminates are the same. GG Vi (07/08/2008)

By Great Granny Vi

Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsJune 8, 2009
Cleaning Laminate Flooring, Red dry mop cleaning laminate floors
Cleaning Laminate Flooring
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Engineered Hardwood Floor
Repairing Water Damage on an Engineered Hardwood Floor
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
🎉
🎄