HealthDogs

Cooling Dogs Down Quickly

Category Health

If your dog gets too hot outside running around and playing, besides giving them water, you can dab some rubbing alcohol on the pads of their feet. This will bring their temperature down enough for them to be quite comfy!

By David from Ellsworth, ME

That's good to know. Thanks for the tip.

We went hiking with our daughter and her 9 year old beagle. Before we were able to get back to the house, the dog got too hot and needed water. We had a bottle of water with us and she took her pocket knife and cut the top off the bottle and the dog was able to lap up water from the bottle.

The concept is good but it is not good for any animal to rub them downwith rubbing alcohol. The cooling they fill is some of the evaporation of the rubbing alcohol which does get absorbed into the skin and makes it way into the blood stream and can cause unwanted effects to dogs especially ones with health issues. The best way is good ol shade and plenty of water along with a fan and hair cut is the best and workes for ours here in Louisiana.

Anonymous

@honeybees, I did not say to "rub them down" with it. This is an old veterinary tip to cool your dog off quickly when it gets too hot, or is in danger of heat stroke. You ONLY need to rub the alcohol on the pads of their feet. Have a blessed day.

I understand your thinking as a medical professional I have seen the smallest intentions go wrong both human and animal with this. It is not recommened at all! Both by doctors and vets here in Louisiana and will be turned in to authorities if it is done. Human or animal if the situation is properly managed rubbing alcohol is not needed at all. I don't mean to offend but it has become a serious problem.

Anonymous

Well I thank you for your input but I do not live in Louisiana. This IS highly recommended any where I have been, which covers much of the U.S. and it works. Again, thanks for your input I will keep it in mind if I ever go to Louisiana.