Buy Baking Supplies After the Holidays - Categories:

AdviceFood Tips

Buy Baking Supplies After the Holidays

Just after Christmas I stock up on baking supplies especially things that are costly like real vanilla - the super stores always deeply discount these items and I load up!

By Mary

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

To make your own vanilla, buy a quart bottle of vodka and add 2 whole vanilla beans. According to the recipe, you let it sit for a month or more in a dark place. I waited six months. You now have vanilla extract. I give it a good shake to mix before pouring it. As you use the vanilla, replenish it with more vodka. I have been doing this for about 10 years now. The initial cost of the vanilla beans is costly but you never discard them. I save a small vanilla bottle that I had from the supermarket to store in my spice cabinet.

This is the time of year to stock up on cooking and baking supplies. Most grocery stores run loss leader specials in December. Supplies can be stored in a pantry, extra refrigerator or freezer. I usually buy a six month supply of butter and two months of eggs because the prices are so low.

By Lynn

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceDecember 12, 2004
Craft Supplies
Selling Excess Craft Supplies
Baking Ingredients
Substitution for Cream of Tartar When Baking
Substitution for Baking Powder
Substitution for Baking Powder
Baking Soda
Freezing Baking Soda and Baking Powder
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 18, 2016 at 5:14:38 PM on 10.0.1.204 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.