Microwave CDs For A Crackle Effect

If you like a nice effect with a CD for card making or any thing, I put the CD in an old microwave, shiny site up. Close the door and turn it on and off. Within a second it gives you a nice crackle on the shiny part of the CD. The longer you have the microwave on, the nicer it becomes. I use that for Christmas cards. I hope you have fun

By Sara from Australia

I knew someone would come up with a good idea for used CD's. I always pick up the free internet CD's in stores and keep the ones I receive in the mail. Now I have an idea to use them for. Thanks.

how do you use them for cards? I mean do you actually use them for the card or just to decorate the card? I'd love to try this if you'll share the how to with me!

I have tried this but my cd's do not crackle pretty. Do you have any suggestions? Does a certain brand work better than others? Do I need to put it in water? Please email me at claireebro AT comcast.net because I too would like to use them on my Christmas Cards. Thanks - Claire

When I crackle mine I get the best results by using 'unused' cds. The paint on printed ones has terrible fumes. Plus using a new one makes a lovely crackle. I always put it in the microwave on top of a cup half full with water. Looks and sounds cool.

Take it out and then I use packing tape to remove the loose pieces of metal flakes, revealing the road the electricity traveled. Then I decopauge an image face down, so that the reverse side has the design with a cool aged crackle effect once the glue medium has dried. I use these in all sorts of art projects. Sometimes I purposely leave a little more silver on for an even more antiqued look. Then I save the silvered packing tape, and mount it on different items for very interesting texture. I modpauge over it.