Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Olive Garden Style Zuppa Toscana Soup Recipe

Does anyone have the recipe for the new Olive Garden soup that has sausage and chunks of potato in it? The broth resembles a chowder rather than a soup broth and it's delicious. The sausage is all in tiny pieces. I don't know the Italian name but we enjoyed it and would like to make it at home.

Roberta from China, ME

By Chef Alfred (Guest Post)09/19/2008

Basically is Sausage Chowder. All chowders or soups are made the same way. Brown the meats in a little oil, add soup stock liquid, rest of your ingredients, & simmer until done. Add cream at the end if you want a creamy soup.
The flavor of the soup will be what ever you put in it, IE broccoli flavor? Add broccoli. alfredschrader AT aol.com

By yo yo (Guest Post)10/11/2007

Servings: 12
Time: 35 minutes
Difficulty: Medium

Cookbook | Recipe Index | Soup

Zuppa Toscana is a soup available at The Olive Garden restaurant.

[edit] Ingredients

* 1 lb. Spicy Italian Sausage - Crumbled
* 1/2 lb. Smoked Bacon - Chopped (One can also use precooked bacon bits for this)
* 1 qt. Water
* (2) 14.5 Oz. Cans Chicken Broth
* (2) lg. Russet Potatoes - Cubed
* 2 Garlic Cloves - Crushed
* 1 med. Onion - Chopped
* 2 cups Chopped Kale or Swiss Chard
* 1 cup Heavy Whipped Cream
* Salt and pepper to taste

[edit] Procedure

1. In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage, breaking into small pieces as you fry it. Drain and set aside.
2. In skillet over medium-high heat, brown bacon. Drain and set aside.
3. Place water, broth, potatoes, garlic, and onion into a pot. Simmer over high heat until potatoes are tender.
4. Add sausage and bacon to the pot. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add kale/chard and cream to the pot. Seasons with salt and pepper; heat through.

Bon appétit!

[edit] Notes, tips, and variations

Potatoes can be substituted with cauliflower for a low carbohydrate version of this soup. I also used 1/2 mild 1/2 spicy turkey sausage instead of pork sausage. Sometimes, fennel is used.

By kylie (Guest Post)07/14/2007

its called Zuppa toscana. google "olive garden Zuppa Toscana soup" and it is the first or second link that comes up i just found it myself. I love that dish! -kylie

By Roberta (Guest Post)01/14/2006

Thanks so much for all the speedy feedback. I shall try these within the next few day. What a great group of folks you all are.

By it's.only.me [165]01/13/2006

This is not the exact version but my family likes it better than Olive Garden's.

TOSCANA SOUP

6 cup chicken broth
1 lb. sweet or spicy Italian sausage
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. salt, optional
2-3 medium russet potatoes
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
10 oz. frozen chopped spinach
Garlic to taste, optional

Combine stock and cream over medium heat.

Cube unpeeled potatoes; add to soup.

Add spinach.

Brown sausage. Cool. Cut in half lengthwise and cut into slices or crumble. Add to soup.

Add spices. Simmer for 2 hours. Stir occasionally.

I brown the sausage in a 375 degree oven using a foil lined pan for 30 minutes, turning after the first 15 minutes.

By Lynn Marler [39]01/13/2006

Hi, Roberta, try this one: http://www.tuscanrecipes.com/recipes/olive-garden-zuppa-toscana.html. Supposedly supplied by a gal who worked at Olive Garden and copied it straight out of their cookbook.

By christi (Guest Post)01/13/2006

Here are a bunch of Olive Garden copykat recipes, hope this helps.
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/ccO/CCo.html

By Mary Koehler [8]01/13/2006

Forgot to mention, go to www.copykat.com and there are so many restaurant recipes there.

By Holly [350]01/13/2006

Look for the
Olive Garden Toscana Soup
recipe in Todd Wilbur's Top Secret Restaurant Recipes cookbook.

By Mary Koehler [8]01/13/2006

You are looking for Zuppa Toscana soup recipe.
check out http://tinyurl.com/866cj this is the recipe I use to make it.
If you write " zuppa toscana recipe" in google, you will get several, basically the same as the one I use. I agree with you, it is delicious! ! !