Week 17: Zuppa Toscana
Zuppa toscana is an Italian soup made with kale, sausage, potatoes and cream. The Olive Garden made this soup popular across the U.S. This copycat recipe recreates their soup and is easy to customize for different diets.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
A "copycat" to the popular Olive Garden recipe, using simple pantry ingredients.
Total Time: 7 hours
Yield: 4 servings
Source: adapted from Olive Garden's popular soup
- 4 Italian sausage links - roughly half pound (I used turkey)
- 4 cups diced potatoes (I kept skins on)
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp each garlic salt and black pepper
- 4 cups kale, rinsed and rough chopped, stems removed
- 1 cup sour cream or sour cream veggie dip (my "pantry clean out")
- Brown sausage with garlic and onion until cooked through (I used water to simmer, but olive oil would work, too). Let cool and cut sausage into bite sized chunks.
- Load up the crockpot with onion, garlic, sausage, potatoes, chicken broth, water, salt and pepper. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Add in kale and sour cream. Cook on low for 30 minutes.