Week 23: Cuban Black Bean Soup
Give black beans a Cuban flair with this savory soup. Top it with sour cream and some shredded cheese for a easy weeknight dinner.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is not your average black bean soup. This soup is full of flavor and can be served in numerous ways.
Total Time: 5 hours
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 cup diced ham
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp black pepper
- sour cream (optional)
- rice (optional)
- Use a colander to rinse the beans, removing any rocks. Place the beans into a large stock pot and fill the pot with cold water (at least 1 inch above the beans). Soak the beans overnight.
- The next day, drain the beans and refill the pot with clean cold water, about 1 inch above the beans.
- Finely chop onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Add salt and pepper. Then add onions, garlic, and bell pepper.
- Add olive oil and ham, stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Scoop out white foam, then cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 5 hours, stirring occassionally. Beans should be soft and the soup should be thick, not watery. You can use a potato masher to break down more of the beans for added thickness. NOTE: Check beans after 2 hours, adding a little more water if necessary.
- Add vinegar, stirring to combine. Simmer uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream or over rice, if desired. Enjoy!
January 1, 20150 found this helpful
Thanks for posting this recipe. It looks delicious!
January 5, 20150 found this helpful
Can't wait to try this, thanks for the recipe!
January 6, 20170 found this helpful
This soup is delicious served with corn bread. Mix all the dry ingredients for the corn bread in one bowl...the wet in another and pop in the refrigerator...and put together right before the meal..
and bake...warm corn bread and hot soup...hearty and perfect to come home to.