Ham and Bean Soup Recipes

Category Bean
Ham and bean soups are easy to make, economical, infinitely variable, and definitely perfect for cold weather meals. This page contains some tasty ham and bean soup recipes.

Several years ago when I could barely afford to eat, I found myself desperately looking for a way I could make something cheap, nutritious, tasty, and that would last. I invented a bean soup recipe.

I buy a bag of mixed beans in the grocery store. I get a package of ham hocks or shanks. I sautee lots of onions, celery and carrots in olive oil with minced garlic. I add the beans, ham hocks or shanks, water, and 2 or three cans of diced tomatoes. I usually use the kind with Italian seasoning. Sometimes I used the stuff with chilli seasoning.

I cook it all day until the meat is falling off of the ham hocks. I take the hocks out of the pot, cut the meat off the bone, and get the marrow out of the cavities, and put all of the meat back into the pot. I never use the fat from the ham hocks. If you are worried about the fat, use shanks.

For under $5.00, I would make a dutch oven full, and could eat off of that for over a week. I often adjusted the seasonings by adding Mrs. Dash, but it is a pretty full proof recipe.

By Susan

I need to know what can be added to Great Northern beans and ham for soup. I don't have any broth. I do have carrots and celery available to use. What would be other ingredients to add?

Answers

Best Answer

Use the ham itself along with carrots, onion, and celery to make a broth. Cover all of it with water, bring to a boil, simmer, then add the beans later on. Salt and pepper the soup last or else your beans will come out tough.

Best Answer

You don't need broth if you have the ham. The carrots and celery are great add some chopped onion and I always put some potatoes in my beans.

Use red potatoes and add them last so they stay chunky. Salt pepper and a few red pepper flakes tops it off.

Best Answer

It will be fine. Just start a soup pot by sauteeing diced onions, garlic, celery and carrots. Add in the cooked ham and beans and some herbs or spices and more broth or water. Simmer it for 30 minutes or so and it should be delicious!

Best Answer

Sounds like you have a good start (maybe even enough to freeze or save for a second meal).

• If you still have room in your crock pot just add some water and whatever types of herbs and seasonings you like (start with small amounts as they tend to get stronger as they "age" and you can always add more but difficult to remove).
  • Advertisement

• Saute any vegetables you have and add to your soup.
  • You might want to add 2 or 3 drops of Tabasco/hot sauce for added flavor (more if you like it hot).
  • It is always best to add salt when beans are almost ready to serve otherwise beans may be a little "hard" and not as soft as you like them.
  • Many people remove a portion of beans and mash them and return to the pot as this gives a thicker soup mixture.

Having a nutritious dish simmering for hours in the crockpot can make a tender, main entree for a delicious meal. This page contains slow cooker ham and bean soup recipes.

A bowl of ham and bean soup with corn bread.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
In These Pages
Food and Recipes Recipes Soups BeanOctober 17, 2019
🍂
🎄