Spinach Herb and Bean Soup

Category Vegetable
This hearty soup contains carrots, barley, onions, green onions, and spices in a chicken broth. The cooked grains, spinach, and chickpeas are added to complete the dish.

This is a twist on one of my grandmother's soup recipes. Usually, it's thickened by using a good amount of barley but I did not have any. Instead I used quick cooking oats and leftover rice. It was incredibly good. The great thing about this soup is you can use dried herbs that you have on hand at any time. I keep a bunch in stock just for using in soups and stews. If you'd like to use fresh herbs, multiply the amount of dried herbs by three.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 50 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes

Yield: 6 servings

• 1 small onion, chopped
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 2 tsp ground turmeric
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 2/3 cup dried parsley
  • 2/3 cup dried mint
  • 2/3 cup dried cilantro
  • 4 cups spinach, chopped
  • 4 cups stock (I used chicken but any will do)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1 cup leftover rice (or sub by adding some more oats)

1. Heat some oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onions and green onions. Cook a few minutes until softened.
  2. Advertisement

3. Add turmeric and garlic powder. Mix well.
  4. Add all the dried herbs and cook, stirring until fragrant for a few minutes.
  5. Add some salt and pepper. Stir well.
  6. Mix in the chopped spinach. Cook until it starts to wilt for a few minutes.
  7. Add the stock and water. Turn heat to high and bring to a rolling boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
  8. Advertisement

9. Add the chickpeas, oats, and rice. Mix well and cook another 15 minutes, until thickened.
  10. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in bowls. Drizzle with fresh lemon juice. I like mine with a sprinkling of dried mint and a dollop of Greek yogurt.

Food and Recipes Recipes Soups VegetableMay 12, 2020
🌻
🐛
😷
👔

Generated 2020-05-13 23:10:35 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️