Week 43: Ginger Butternut Squash Soup

Category Vegetable
Ginger adds a delicious spiciness to butternut squash. This soup would be wonderful for Halloween or Thanksgiving, perhaps served in a pumpkin shell.

This ginger butternut squash soup is the perfect soothing soup for a cold winter day. I had leftover roasted butternut squash and decided to try adding ginger which made this soup really pop.

• 1 butternut squash
  • 1 shallot, chopped
  • 5 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 Tbsp chicken better than bouillon stock (Could use veggie stock instead of the water and bouillon)
  • 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
  • salt and pepper to taste

1. I roasted my butternut squash by rubbing it with olive oil and salt and roasting at 375 F for 30-40 minutes. I roasted the squash the day before and put it in the fridge. (Note: I don't think the taste would be affected much if you didn't roast it first. Just peel and slice the squash and cooked it in the broth until tender).
  2. Advertisement

3. Saute shallot and garlic until golden brown.
  4. Add the squash to the pot.
  5. Mix the stock with the water and add it to the pot.
  6. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer.
  7. Add the salt, pepper and ginger.
  8. If using roasted squash simmer for about 10-15 minutes. If using fresh squash, simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.
  9. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth.
Food and Recipes Recipes Soups VegetableOctober 27, 2019
🍂
🎄