Chicken and Butternut Squash Stew
Butternut squash and chicken go great together and makes for a wonderful stew. Make a hearty chicken and butternut squash stew
for dinner tonight, your family will love it.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
You may substitute pork for the chicken or any winter squash or pumpkin for the butternut squash.
Total Time: Prep about 1/2 hour. Cooking 2 to 2 1/2 hours
Source: Williams Sonoma
- 2 lb chicken thighs, cut into small cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp applesauce
- 9 oz can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 lb peeled and diced butternut squash
- 2 tsp chopped fresh sage
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Working in batches, brown the chicken on all sides, around 8-10 minutes per batch. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and warm the remaining 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the onion, and cook until tender, about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, ginger, tomato paste, cinnamon, coriander, nutmeg, cloves, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring constantly about a minute.
- Add the vinegar, applesauce, tomatoes with the juices, butternut squash, sage, stock, and chicken. Bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the Dutch oven in the oven and cook 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until the chicken is tender. Skim the fat off if necessary.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.