Chicken and Butternut Squash Stew
You may substitute pork for the chicken or any winter squash or pumpkin for the butternut squash.
Total Time: Prep about 1/2 hour. Cooking 2 to 2 1/2 hours
Source: Williams Sonoma
- 2 lb chicken thighs, cut into small cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp applesauce
- 9 oz can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 lb peeled and diced butternut squash
- 2 tsp chopped fresh sage
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Working in batches, brown the chicken on all sides, around 8-10 minutes per batch. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and warm the remaining 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the onion, and cook until tender, about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, ginger, tomato paste, cinnamon, coriander, nutmeg, cloves, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring constantly about a minute.
- Add the vinegar, applesauce, tomatoes with the juices, butternut squash, sage, stock, and chicken. Bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the Dutch oven in the oven and cook 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until the chicken is tender. Skim the fat off if necessary.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.