Freezing Butternut Squash

Category Vegetables
This squash can keep for quite awhile, but sometimes you may need to freeze some. This guide is about freezing butternut squash.

How do you freeze butternut squash?

By Linda V

Answers

I chunk mine, then blanch it. Drain and pat dry, then put into zip lock bags and freeze.

Blanch it, let it dry, and freeze it flat.

How do you freeze butternut squash? Can it be frozen in the raw form?

By Dorothy Stella from Rochester, NY

Answers

If I was going to freeze butternut squash I would cook it first by any method. The problem with this is that you have to then use it in soups or puree'd. Why freeze it at all? Keep the whole squash in a cool dark dry spot and cut it open when you want to use it.

Anonymous

You should bake first but freezing without precooking is not a good idea. :-( Cut in half and place cut side down on baking sheet.

Cook until tender. Scrape pulp from rind and mash or remove rind and cube.

I was given a bunch of butternut squash. Can I freeze it?

By John

Answers

I freeze ours. I do blanch it first (after cutting it into chunks)

What is the best way to freeze butternut squash?

Deb from Dearborn, MI

Answers:

Freezing Butternut Squash

I bake it or boil it until it scoops out easily, cool until easy to handle. Then I blend until smooth and place into Ziploc freezer bags and freeze. When I want to use I thaw it and either warm it on the stove top or bake, adding my favorite topping. (07/23/2008)

By Donna

Freezing Butternut Squash

I peel the squash, boil it, mash it and let it cool down.
Then I take all the extra ice cube trays I have (only use for squash) and fill each section with the squash mixture. I then freeze it for 24 hours.
I pop out the cubes and put them into Ziploc freezer bags and pop back into the freezer. I can then take out only what I need to defrost for my meals. I can add brown sugar, maple syrup, or any other spices that I wish when reheating the squash. (07/23/2008)

By Deanna from MA

Freezing Butternut Squash

I do the same as above and also for zucchini. I peel, then shred it. I freeze 2 cups in Ziploc bags, and use for zucchini bread. Very good. (07/24/2008)

By Sharon