Freezing Summer Squash

Category Freezing
Summer squash is plentiful when in season. Whether you have a home garden, buy your squash at the market, or farmer's market, freezing is an easy way to preserve some for later. This is a guide about freezing summer squash.

Do you remove the seeds and the insides of the zucchini to freeze it? I don't know if you have to peel it and remove the seeds and such, or what you have to do to it to get it ready for the freezer.

Barb

Answers

Best Answer

Yellow and Zucchini squash can be picked when tender; wash, slice crossways, and blanch 1 min in boiling water, then place in ice water a few min to cool. Drain and place in freezer bags or containers.

I have also cooked them with onions and a few shredded carrots, let cool and placed into freezer bags. Don't allow the water content to be very much. This can then be made into a squash casserole by adding cream of chicken soup and layer with herbal stuffing mix. Melt 1/2 stick of butter and pour over the stuffing mix.

We are growing zucchini in our garden, my question is can you freeze zucchini for later use?

By Vicki from Bonifay, FL

Answers:

Squash is Soft When Thawed

Yes, but it will be very soft when thawed; like strawberries. It's wonderful in lasagna and casseroles.

By bkvander

Freezing and Thawing Instructions

Yes, you can freeze it. I peel it and take out the seeds first. Cut the squash in quarters and shred it in the food processor. I save all of my dip containers, icing containers, peanut butter jars, and sour cream containers and freeze about a cup in each container.

When I'm ready to use, I thaw it out on the countertop and then put it in a colander to get out all the excess liquid. Then add it to a recipe that calls for shredded zucchini. My family just loves my zucchini brownies and zucchini cake!

By luv2craft

Remove Extra Liquid Before Measuring

I froze mine last summer by shredding it, putting it into a container and freezing it, then transferring the frozen mass to a vacuum sealed bag. One thing to note is, when you thaw it, you will need to drain the excess liquid off before using it. I had measured mine into 4 cup containers for bread, but after thawing, I only had 2 cups. Something to keep in mind.

By kayrayriggs

What is the preferred way to freeze yellow squash and zucchini?

By ruthkri from MN

Answers:

Squash for Soups and Stews

Squash has a lot of water and turns to mush easily. I cook the squash with some onion and very little water. Then I puree it and freeze it for use in soups and stews, using 2 cup and quart containers.

By EGST

What is the best way to freeze yellow summer squash?

Murray from Westbrook, Maine

Answers:

Wash and Freeze

I simply wash the squash with cold water and then slice to the thickness I want to use. I then freeze them in Ziploc bags. You can also lay them out on a cookie sheet and freeze, then put in the Ziploc bag or other freezer container. If I am using zucchini, etc for bread or cake recipes, I shred it and pre measure it before freezing it.

By hvnlyhills

Delicious Tomato Sauce

I dice, sauté with garlic and onions (and zucchini if I have it). I then freeze and use with diced tomatoes as a delicious tomato sauce. I serve it with grilled chicken. Even the kids eat it!

By Diana

Squash and Cherry Tomatoes

I wash and slice about an inch thick, zap in the micro for one minute only. Dunk in ice water and then drain. I pack with cherry tomatoes, halved in quart bags and freeze.

To cook, I put 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan. I add 1 teaspoon chopped garlic from a jar, some Italian herbs, and the veggies. Drain out the water as it oozes out of the veggies, but set it aside.

As the veggies cook, they'll need more water. I add it back a little bit at a time until I've added back all the water. When cooked, I sprinkle some shredded Parmesan on top and that's it!

Load More