Freezing Summer Squash

What is the best way to freeze yellow summer squash?

Murray from Westbrook, Maine

Answers:

Wash and Freeze

I simply wash the squash with cold water and then slice to the thickness I want to use. I then freeze them in Ziploc bags. You can also lay them out on a cookie sheet and freeze, then put in the Ziploc bag or other freezer container. If I am using zucchini, etc for bread or cake recipes, I shred it and pre measure it before freezing it.

By hvnlyhills

Delicious Tomato Sauce

I dice, sauté with garlic and onions (and zucchini if I have it). I then freeze and use with diced tomatoes as a delicious tomato sauce. I serve it with grilled chicken. Even the kids eat it!

By Diana

Squash and Cherry Tomatoes

I wash and slice about an inch thick, zap in the micro for one minute only. Dunk in ice water and then drain. I pack with cherry tomatoes, halved in quart bags and freeze.

To cook, I put 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan. I add 1 teaspoon chopped garlic from a jar, some Italian herbs, and the veggies. Drain out the water as it oozes out of the veggies, but set it aside.

As the veggies cook, they'll need more water. I add it back a little bit at a time until I've added back all the water. When cooked, I sprinkle some shredded Parmesan on top and that's it!

About The Author: This article is an archive of feedback form 2006.