Canning Summer Squash and Zucchini

Category Vegetables
When the summer squash is ripe there is usually too much to eat it all fresh. This page is about canning summer squash and zucchini.

Can I fry my squash up and then can it?

By Tara P

Answers

Best Answer

To can squash (or any non-acidic vegetable) you need a pressure canner. The canner can reach and maintain the temperature needed to prevent botulism. However, the squash will be very mushy and not very good. Freezing is the way to go.

My husband has had an overabundance of zucchini this year. Maybe this extreme heat has something to do with it? My question is, does anyone have a recipe for canning zucchini?

I have shredded quite a few to freeze for zucchini bread this winter with my Food Saver machine. I also blanched some sliced zucchini, froze it on foil over cookie sheets in the deep freezer. I later popped them off and used my Food Saver machine that removed the air from the bag.

So if anyone has a recipe for canning zucchini, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Carolyn C. from Elsberry, MO

Answers

Best Answer

I'm sorry I don't have a recipe for canning, but I just wanted to add that I don't even blanch the zucchini that I freeze. I shred mine for use in cakes and quick breads; just squeeze out the excess water once thawed. Makes the moistest cakes you've ever had and reduces the amount of oil that you need too.

Best Answer

My sister pickles her zucchini, she uses the recipe from Ball canning, at www.freshpreserving.com/ Kosher Dill Pickles - Small Batch or on back of package. She follows it using zucchini instead of the cucumbers.

The only thing she does different is she removes the large seeds from the center and slices into short spears. She includes a fresh clove of garlic into each jar for some kick. They are very good and don't last long at family picnics.

I want to dry can my fried squash, by frying it and sealing it in hot jars while the squash is still hot. Will this work?

Answers

Canning squash is not recommended. To preserve squash you should pickle or freeze.

I know years ago the United States Department of Agriculture sent out statement that summer squash (in any format--raw, fried, etc.) should not be canned because the consistency causes uneven heating and promotes the growth of botulism. YUCK!

Most of the home extension offices in the US concur with this proclamation, although I am not able to lay my hands on the original USDA letter.

That said, to answer your question,canning fried (or any kind of squash) is not appropriate.

People do fry squash then freeze it, but I do not like the consistency when you go to reheat it. It is all squishy.

We have frozen squash and then fried it up later. It is still not ideal, but it works.

This is one of the ways to freeze:

delishably.com/.../how-to-freeze-yellow-squash

Then you just batter up and fry when you want some.

Safety first!

I think the best thing to do with summer squash is enjoy them while they're in season. If you like fried squash, fry them, eat them and appreciate them during the summer.

Once squash are frozen their texture changes. If you do freeze squash, you might consider preparing them in a form such as squash casserole.

I agree! Frozen squash might also be good in soups or in baking, like zucchini bread.

I need to know how to can summer squash and zucchini. Any suggestions?

By Evelyn H

Answers

I can yellow squash & Zucchini, tomaoes, onions, green pepper and celery could be opts. add tomto juice for Liquid, you can find recipes in canning books under squash or veggie recipes in most.

I put smoked turkey sausage, when I heat it up and serve over rice or noodles.

how long do you cook the zucchini, squash, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, celery when canning

I don't have a pressure canner, can I can squash in a cold canning bath. You know cook the squash, put them in jars and seal, then put them in a large pot and cover with water and boil for 20-30 minutes.

By Tina

I am looking into possibly canning some of our crop from the garden of summer squash and zucchini. Has anyone had any luck with that?

By Sharon M.

How do you can fresh summer squash?

By Leanne W.

Sweeten up your canned zucchini by putting them in pineapple juice. Canning zucchini in pineapple juice will make them delectably sweet.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Canning VegetablesJuly 13, 2012
📓
🎂
🌻