Canning Fried Squash

I want to dry can my fried squash, by frying it and sealing it in hot jars while the squash is still hot. Will this work?

Canning squash is not recommended. To preserve squash you should pickle or freeze.

I know years ago the United States Department of Agriculture sent out statement that summer squash (in any format--raw, fried, etc.) should not be canned because the consistency causes uneven heating and promotes the growth of botulism. YUCK!

Most of the home extension offices in the US concur with this proclamation, although I am not able to lay my hands on the original USDA letter.

That said, to answer your question,canning fried (or any kind of squash) is not appropriate.

People do fry squash then freeze it, but I do not like the consistency when you go to reheat it.

It is all squishy.

We have frozen squash and then fried it up later. It is still not ideal, but it works.

This is one of the ways to freeze:

delishably.com/.../how-to-freeze-yellow-squash

Then you just batter up and fry when you want some.

Safety first!

I think the best thing to do with summer squash is enjoy them while they're in season. If you like fried squash, fry them, eat them and appreciate them during the summer. Once squash are frozen their texture changes. If you do freeze squash, you might consider preparing them in a form such as squash casserole.

I agree! Frozen squash might also be good in soups or in baking, like zucchini bread.

Food and Recipes CanningJune 21, 2019
📓
🐛
🌻