Freezing Summer Squash

We are growing zucchini in our garden, my question is can you freeze zucchini for later use?

By Vicki from Bonifay, FL

Answers:

Squash is Soft When Thawed

Yes, but it will be very soft when thawed; like strawberries. It's wonderful in lasagna and casseroles.

By bkvander

Freezing and Thawing Instructions

Yes, you can freeze it. I peel it and take out the seeds first. Cut the squash in quarters and shred it in the food processor. I save all of my dip containers, icing containers, peanut butter jars, and sour cream containers and freeze about a cup in each container.

When I'm ready to use, I thaw it out on the countertop and then put it in a colander to get out all the excess liquid. Then add it to a recipe that calls for shredded zucchini. My family just loves my zucchini brownies and zucchini cake!

By luv2craft

Remove Extra Liquid Before Measuring

I froze mine last summer by shredding it, putting it into a container and freezing it, then transferring the frozen mass to a vacuum sealed bag. One thing to note is, when you thaw it, you will need to drain the excess liquid off before using it. I had measured mine into 4 cup containers for bread, but after thawing, I only had 2 cups. Something to keep in mind.

By kayrayriggs