Cuban Black Bean Soup Recipes
This hearty black bean soup is full of flavor and not too spicy for any member of your family. This page contains Cuban black bean soup recipes
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is not your average black bean soup. This soup is full of flavor and can be served in numerous ways.
Total Time: 5 hours
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 cup diced ham
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp black pepper
- sour cream (optional)
- rice (optional)
- Use a colander to rinse the beans, removing any rocks. Place the beans into a large stock pot and fill the pot with cold water (at least 1 inch above the beans). Soak the beans overnight.
- The next day, drain the beans and refill the pot with clean cold water, about 1 inch above the beans.
- Finely chop onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Add salt and pepper. Then add onions, garlic, and bell pepper.
- Add olive oil and ham, stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Scoop out white foam, then cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 5 hours, stirring occassionally. Beans should be soft and the soup should be thick, not watery. You can use a potato masher to break down more of the beans for added thickness. NOTE: Check beans after 2 hours, adding a little more water if necessary.
- Add vinegar, stirring to combine. Simmer uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream or over rice, if desired. Enjoy!
April 7, 20160 found this helpful
This hearty soup is perfect for lunch or dinner. Learn how to make it in this short video.