Browsing: Removing Moss from a Roof

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Moss from a Roof

Cleaning moss off your roof not only improves it's appearance but also increases the life span of your roof. It is important to not only remove moss but to prevent further growth. This is a guide about removing moss from a roof.

Removing Moss from a Roof, Cleaning Moss off Roof
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 5, 2010 Flag

I recently had my mossy roof sprayed with Spray and Forget and now have a roof covered with dead moss. How do I get this off? It looks worse than when it was green, even though I know this is better. I'd like to know how to get rid of it. Thanks.

By Joan from Rangeley Plantation, ME

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is from the Popular Mechanics website: www.popularmechanics.com/home/improvement/outdoor.../4217233

They suggested killing the moss then get on the roof with a pressure washer and starting at the top of the roof, spray down the roof

I need to add a warning on killing the moss. Do not use Tide or bleach as these will shorten the life of the roof considerably.

Bleach is what most, if not all, roofing shingle manufacturers recommend using on their products, what you don't want to use is elbow grease... and careful not to sweep away any granules which keep the shingles doing their jobs, if your not exactly sure on how to deal with moss on your roof, hire someone who does.

November 23, 2011 Flag

I have a three tab asphalt composition shingle roof. If I use Tide with bleach and spread it by hand all over my roof, I understand it will damage my roof. However, how long will it take a week, month, year, or one to four days to get rid of the moss?

By Ed

First of all in order to grow moss the roof must be staying damp and dark so I would trim up any trees hanging over the roof, especially on the north and east sides.

Second, moss requires an acid environment to live so your best bet would be to sprinkle some agricultural lime on the roof to cut the acidic condition.

Are you by chance mistaking mold for moss?

September 5, 2010 Flag

I have an outside shed that has one side covered with moss. Any suggestions about removing the moss without damaging the shingles?

By Peggygram from Maryland

Answers:

Removing Moss From Roof

Here's a tip I've submitted: (I don't think it's been posted on ThriftyFun yet).

Remove moss and algae without scrubbing: This product is amazing! You spray it anywhere you want to remove algae and moss, or to stop it from to growing. Just put it into a garden sprayer and spray it on once a year, then every time it rains, it binds with the rain and starts working. It's amazing stuff with no scrubbing required! It's called "Spray and Forget". You can buy it at Home Depot. I use it on my mobile home, my garage siding, and on our camper. I used to have quite the moss and algae problem, but no more. It also removes mildew, fungus, and lichen stains from roofs, siding, decks, brick, stucco, and other exterior surfaces with no scrubbing required.

Product info:
sprayandforget.com

Products Q and A:
sprayandforget.com (05/11/2009)

By Cyinda

May 11, 2009 Flag

I know that using bleach to kill, and zinc to prevent is OK. The problem I have, is that the roof I've got is huge. I bit off more than I can chew in buying this property, and it's getting quite a lot of moss growth. I know I must remove and prevent.

The problem is that I do not know what jet system to use to mix the bleach and water. Also, I can only do this from a ladder.

The zinc will have to wait.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Answers:

Removing Moss From Roof

I have the same problem with my roof, so I contacted the manufacturer of my roofing shingles and they recommended a product called "Shingle Shield". I read that bleach can damage your roof, so even though it may be initially cheaper to treat, in the end if you have to replace your roof, it will be much more costly.

You can check out "Shingle Shield" at http://www.rainhandler.com. They also have a question and answer section that may be very helpful to you regarding application, equipment necessary, prevention, etc. The phone number is 1-800-942-3004 (06/10/2005)

By Debbie

Removing Moss From Roof

I have used the same company for over 20 years, and there is nothing they can't fix. Totally trust worthy and reliable, prompt and professional. Apex Edinburgh 01314787175 (10/02/2008)

By Paul

Home and Garden Home Improvement RoofNovember 3, 2011
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Lots of Moss on Roof
Preventing and Removing Moss from Your Roof
A dirty roof that has been partially cleaned.
Saving Money on Roof Cleaning
Man nailing up new shingles on a roof.
Saving Money on a New Roof
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 12:50:04 AM on 10.0.0.143 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.