Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Moss from a Roof

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Removing Moss from a Roof, Cleaning Moss off Roof

Cleaning moss off your roof not only improves it's appearance but also increases the life span of your roof. It is important to not only remove moss but to prevent further growth. This is a guide about removing moss from a roof.

Here are questions related to Removing Moss from a Roof.

Question: Using Tide to Remove Moss on Roof

I have a three tab asphalt composition shingle roof. If I use Tide with bleach and spread it by hand all over my roof, I understand it will damage my roof. However, how long will it take a week, month, year, or one to four days to get rid of the moss?

By Ed

Most Recent Answer

By littlegamma [7]12/03/2011

First of all in order to grow moss the roof must be staying damp and dark so I would trim up any trees hanging over the roof, especially on the north and east sides.

Second, moss requires an acid environment to live so your best bet would be to sprinkle some agricultural lime on the roof to cut the acidic condition.
Are you by chance mistaking mold for moss?

Question: Removing Moss From Roof

I recently had my mossy roof sprayed with Spray and Forget and now have a roof covered with dead moss. How do I get this off? It looks worse than when it was green, even though I know this is better. I'd like to know how to get rid of it. Thanks.

By Joan from Rangeley Plantation, ME

Most Recent Answer

By Stan [2]10/12/2010

I need to add a warning on killing the moss. Do not use Tide or bleach as these will shorten the life of the roof considerably.

Question: Black Streaks on Roof (Mold)

I have black streaks of mold on the shingles on the roof of my house. How can I clean it?

By Susan from TX

Most Recent Answer

03/17/2011

A few of the response have the answers right ARMA is the shingle manufacturer recommendations is correct. JiminNJ is right on target with his response. Here is what it looks like up close just to get a better idea.

Re: Black Streaks on Roof (Mold)

Solutions: Removing Moss from a Roof

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Moss From Roof

I know that using bleach to kill, and zinc to prevent is OK. The problem I have, is that the roof I've got is huge. I bit off more than I can chew in buying this property, and it's getting quite a lot of moss growth. I know I must remove and prevent.

The problem is that I do not know what jet system to use to mix the bleach and water. Also, I can only do this from a ladder.

The zinc will have to wait.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

RE: Removing Moss From Roof

I have the same problem with my roof, so I contacted the manufacturer of my roofing shingles and they recommended a product called "Shingle Shield". I read that bleach can damage your roof, so even though it may be initially cheaper to treat, in the end if you have to replace your roof, it will be much more costly.

You can check out "Shingle Shield" at http://www.rainhandler.com. They also have a question and answer section that may be very helpful to you regarding application, equipment necessary, prevention, etc. The phone number is 1-800-942-3004 (06/10/2005)

By Debbie

RE: Removing Moss From Roof

I have used the same company for over 20 years, and there is nothing they can't fix. Totally trust worthy and reliable, prompt and professional. Apex Edinburgh 01314787175 (10/02/2008)

By Paul

Archive: Removing Moss From Roof

I have an outside shed that has one side covered with moss. Any suggestions about removing the moss without damaging the shingles?

By Peggygram from Maryland

RE: Removing Moss From Roof

Here's a tip I've submitted: (I don't think it's been posted on ThriftyFun yet).

Remove moss and algae without scrubbing: This product is amazing! You spray it anywhere you want to remove algae and moss, or to stop it from to growing. Just put it into a garden sprayer and spray it on once a year, then every time it rains, it binds with the rain and starts working. It's amazing stuff with no scrubbing required! It's called "Spray and Forget". You can buy it at Home Depot. I use it on my mobile home, my garage siding, and on our camper. I used to have quite the moss and algae problem, but no more. It also removes mildew, fungus, and lichen stains from roofs, siding, decks, brick, stucco, and other exterior surfaces with no scrubbing required.

Product info:
sprayandforget.com

Products Q and A:
sprayandforget.com (05/11/2009)

By Cyinda