Removing Moss from a Roof

Category Roof
Removing Moss from a Roof, Cleaning Moss off Roof
Cleaning moss off your roof not only improves it's appearance but also increases the life span of your roof. It is important to not only remove moss but to prevent further growth. This is a guide about removing moss from a roof.

I recently had my mossy roof sprayed with Spray and Forget and now have a roof covered with dead moss. How do I get this off? It looks worse than when it was green, even though I know this is better. I'd like to know how to get rid of it. Thanks.

By Joan from Rangeley Plantation, ME

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Bleach is what most, if not all, roofing shingle manufacturers recommend using on their products, what you don't want to use is elbow grease... and careful not to sweep away any granules which keep the shingles doing their jobs, if your not exactly sure on how to deal with moss on your roof, hire someone who does.

Do not pressure wash a composition roof! It will ruin your roof. First kill the moss, next sweep lightly or use a leaf blower, pain in the butt, yes, but cheaper than a new roof. Next time, do not let moss build up.

If you look at the website for this product you need to brush off the dead moss next....http://www.askm … ed-in-the-video/ ...That said I would if you are older like me I would do a test section first...choose an area and hose off that area and then let dry and then if needed sit on the roof and brush downward...never upward. The same direction information is for hosing also...notice I did not say pressure washing, since usually pressure washing reduces the lifespan of your roof. This maintenance is just like any other...if you have let it go for too long then it will require several applications. If you are really lucky most of the dead moss will be removed with the hose nozzle without having to brush a lot.

I have a three tab asphalt composition shingle roof. If I use Tide with bleach and spread it by hand all over my roof, I understand it will damage my roof. However, how long will it take a week, month, year, or one to four days to get rid of the moss?

By Ed

First of all in order to grow moss the roof must be staying damp and dark so I would trim up any trees hanging over the roof, especially on the north and east sides.

Second, moss requires an acid environment to live so your best bet would be to sprinkle some agricultural lime on the roof to cut the acidic condition.

Are you by chance mistaking mold for moss?

Does sprinkling dolomite lime hurt a composition roof?

I have an outside shed that has one side covered with moss. Any suggestions about removing the moss without damaging the shingles?

By Peggygram from Maryland

Answers:

Removing Moss From Roof

Here's a tip I've submitted: (I don't think it's been posted on ThriftyFun yet).

Remove moss and algae without scrubbing: This product is amazing! You spray it anywhere you want to remove algae and moss, or to stop it from to growing. Just put it into a garden sprayer and spray it on once a year, then every time it rains, it binds with the rain and starts working. It's amazing stuff with no scrubbing required! It's called "Spray and Forget". You can buy it at Home Depot. I use it on my mobile home, my garage siding, and on our camper. I used to have quite the moss and algae problem, but no more. It also removes mildew, fungus, and lichen stains from roofs, siding, decks, brick, stucco, and other exterior surfaces with no scrubbing required.

Product info:
sprayandforget.com

Products Q and A:
sprayandforget.com (05/11/2009)

By Cyinda

I know that using bleach to kill, and zinc to prevent is OK. The problem I have, is that the roof I've got is huge. I bit off more than I can chew in buying this property, and it's getting quite a lot of moss growth. I know I must remove and prevent.

The problem is that I do not know what jet system to use to mix the bleach and water. Also, I can only do this from a ladder.

The zinc will have to wait.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Answers:

Removing Moss From Roof

I have the same problem with my roof, so I contacted the manufacturer of my roofing shingles and they recommended a product called "Shingle Shield". I read that bleach can damage your roof, so even though it may be initially cheaper to treat, in the end if you have to replace your roof, it will be much more costly.

You can check out "Shingle Shield" at http://www.rainhandler.com. They also have a question and answer section that may be very helpful to you regarding application, equipment necessary, prevention, etc. The phone number is 1-800-942-3004 (06/10/2005)

By Debbie

Removing Moss From Roof

I have used the same company for over 20 years, and there is nothing they can't fix. Totally trust worthy and reliable, prompt and professional. Apex Edinburgh 01314787175 (10/02/2008)

By Paul