Removing Moss From Roof

I recently had my mossy roof sprayed with Spray and Forget and now have a roof covered with dead moss. How do I get this off? It looks worse than when it was green, even though I know this is better. I'd like to know how to get rid of it. Thanks.

By Joan from Rangeley Plantation, ME

This is from the Popular Mechanics website: www.popularmechanics.com/home/improvement/outdoor.../4217233
They suggested killing the moss then get on the roof with a pressure washer and starting at the top of the roof, spray down the roof

I need to add a warning on killing the moss. Do not use Tide or bleach as these will shorten the life of the roof considerably.

Bleach is what most, if not all, roofing shingle manufacturers recommend using on their products, what you don't want to use is elbow grease... and careful not to sweep away any granules which keep the shingles doing their jobs, if your not exactly sure on how to deal with moss on your roof, hire someone who does.

Do not pressure wash a composition roof! It will ruin your roof. First kill the moss, next sweep lightly or use a leaf blower, pain in the butt, yes, but cheaper than a new roof. Next time, do not let moss build up.

If you look at the website for this product you need to brush off the dead moss next....http://www.askm … ed-in-the-video/ ...That said I would if you are older like me I would do a test section first...choose an area and hose off that area and then let dry and then if needed sit on the roof and brush downward...never upward. The same direction information is for hosing also...notice I did not say pressure washing, since usually pressure washing reduces the lifespan of your roof. This maintenance is just like any other...if you have let it go for too long then it will require several applications. If you are really lucky most of the dead moss will be removed with the hose nozzle without having to brush a lot.