Removing Set-In Yellow Stains on Collars

How do I remove yellow collar sweat stains from a white shirt?

By Carlo from Roanoke, VA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Have you tried vinegar?

To my knowledge, there is little can be done to old set in sweat stains on collars. To prevent this in the future, use a degreaser spray before each washing on the collars and there won't be any buildup. A lot easier than trying to remove later.

Answer

How can I remove set-in yellow stains on collars of white shirts? They have been washed and dried many times but are still in good condition.

Betty from FL

Soak the white shirts in a mixture of water and some bleach for several hours or over night if needed. Make sure that you don't use a lot of bleach, because the bleach could rot the fabric. Or what you could is pour some bleach directly on the collar and rub lightly and then immediately rinse shirts well to remove bleach, then launder. (11/13/2007)

By MCW

You could also try putting lemon juice on the collars and placing them in a sunny window so they can get direct sunlight then wash as normal. The lemon juice will act as a natural bleach without harming the fabric. (11/13/2007)

By Tracey

Oxiclean! Works really good for set in stains soak it in a bucket with some overnight and wash they will be gone! (11/13/2007)

By Nicole

You could soak the garment in Cascade dishwasher soap. I have heard to mix some in a bucket with water, put in the clothes and let it soak overnight. Then just dump the whole thing in the washer to wash. I haven't done it, but on one web site there has been several people mention that they do this and it works. (11/14/2007)

By suzin

I have had good luck lately with Spray and Wash on my husband's old cotton undershirts that he refuses to part with.

However, I use it on the yellow underarms of the t shirt, since he doesn't have yellow marks on the collar. (12/06/2007)

By metroplex

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsSeptember 28, 2010
Cleaning Old Dresses
Removing Yellow Creases from Stored Dresses
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Nice light blue dress shirt.
Making Shirt Collars Last Longer
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 26, 2016 at 6:02:58 PM on 10.0.1.185 in 868 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.