Browse
Crafts, Recipes, Tips,
& Guides
Contests
Enter Contests
& Vote
Get Advice
Submit a
Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Using Pine Sol as a Disinfectant

0 0EmailPrintFollow

When you mop the kitchen floor with Pine Sol and water, does it disinfect the floor of germs and bacteria?

By jazzy774 from Pasadena, CA

Recent Answers

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By lynda [12]07/08/2009

To my knowledge, Phenol is only used in Lysol, NOT Pinesol. When I called the company to try to find the original Lysol, which has been discontinued in favor of Les-toil, the company confirmed that the original Lysol had Phenol, the reason they discontinued it. Hospitals use some brand of Phenol, but it is not easily available to general public their staff says.

Best best is to use some chlorine, but with plenty of ventilation, with whatever else you use other than Ammonia that will explode when mixed with Chlorine. Good luck and God bless. : )

By Lelia Jo Cordell [49]07/02/2009

Wow. Thanks, COFlower. I've been adding a little chlorine bleach to my mop water with the Pine-Sol, just to be sure. Now I can save my bleach!

By Sharon [4]07/01/2009

It does kill germs, but also is dangerous if you have pets, especially cats. The Phenol in Pine Sol is harmful and even toxic if they walk across the wet floor, then clean their feet.

By LizO07/01/2009

Yes, it is a disinfectant: http://www.pinesol.com/faq.php

"Does Original Pine-Sol® Brand Cleaner disinfect? Yes. Original Pine-Sol® Brand Cleaner is registered with the E.P.A. as a disinfectant when used as directed full-strength. It kills household bacteria on hard non-porous surfaces."

Answer This Question

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to answer this question.