Browsing: Uses for Pine-Sol

Using Pine Sol as a Disinfectant

When you mop the kitchen floor with Pine Sol and water, does it disinfect the floor of germs and bacteria?

By jazzy774 from Pasadena, CA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Yes, it is a disinfectant: http://www.pinesol.com/faq.php

"Does Original Pine-Sol® Brand Cleaner disinfect? Yes. Original Pine-Sol® Brand Cleaner is registered with the E.P.A. as a disinfectant when used as directed full-strength. It kills household bacteria on hard non-porous surfaces."

It does kill germs, but also is dangerous if you have pets, especially cats. The Phenol in Pine Sol is harmful and even toxic if they walk across the wet floor, then clean their feet.

Wow. Thanks, COFlower. I've been adding a little chlorine bleach to my mop water with the Pine-Sol, just to be sure. Now I can save my bleach!

To my knowledge, Phenol is only used in Lysol, NOT Pinesol. When I called the company to try to find the original Lysol, which has been discontinued in favor of Les-toil, the company confirmed that the original Lysol had Phenol, the reason they discontinued it. Hospitals use some brand of Phenol, but it is not easily available to general public their staff says.

Best best is to use some chlorine, but with plenty of ventilation, with whatever else you use other than Ammonia that will explode when mixed with Chlorine. Good luck and God bless. : )

I did some research and based on what I've found the old original pine Sol was discontinued because of the lack of pine oil. That's why the ones made these days smell different.

Pine-Sol
Uses for Pine-Sol
Consumer Advice General AdviceJune 30, 2009
Pine needle bunches tied with fabric.
Crafts Using Pine Needles
Pine Cones
Getting Seeds From Pine Cones
A pile of shelled pine nuts
Recipes Using Pine Nuts
Homemade Disinfectant Cleaner Ingredients
Homemade Disinfectant Cleaners
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 4:07:09 PM on 10.0.1.53 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.