Use Fabric from Old Clothing for Keepsakes

When sorting old clothes that you are considering handing down, donating, or discarding, rethink those ideas! Henceforth, see every single item of clothing that you no longer want as a "precious piece of fabric or cloth". You can simply open the seams of the garment, remove the buttons, zippers, snaps, etc. flatten it, clean it and reuse the "new piece of fabric" to make another item of use, such as: a pillow cover, a table covering, a wall hanging, a purse, a small chair throw, etc.

A velveteen dress that belonged to my grandmother was converted to a beautiful stuffed throw pillow by me, and gets many, many compliments from my visitors. In these tough economic times, let's get creative, for "necessity is the mother of invention."

By Joyce from Bloomfield, CT

You can also make some really nice crafts items with the buttons, snaps and zippers ;-)

Grandpa's flannel shirt makes a teddybear for the newest grandchild. My grandmother left me her fur coat when she died. It was not in very good shape so I wasn't going to wear it. I found a local craftperson to make it into 3 teddybears for me. I gave one to each of my children. It will always remind them of great-grandma and when I visit their homes I see the bears on display.

Great, thrifty thinking! I began this same thought process about a year ago, when our income was slashed hugely. I do wish that I had realized it before then!

I would like to direct you to a favorite site that features clothes made from gently worn clothing. It is: There are many patterns and the person who has this site is just so crafty and smart. Check it out. Very original.

I'm in my 60's now, and I feel so blessed to have lovely "scrap" quilts made by myself, my mother, and my grandmother, totally from scraps of old clothing. I can remember & point out my favorite shorts set when I was 8 yrs old; my mother's blouse or grandmother's apron, my daughter's sundress, etc. Quilts, pillow covers, lap throws, table runners, are just a few things I have made from scraps. I've even made newsboy caps, and fancy scrunchies. Just save them up and make yourself a treasured memory!

basket of clothing
Uses for Old Clothing
Crafts SewingDecember 18, 2009
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
Homemade Trinket Boxes
Homemade Trinket Boxes
Organized Photos in Box
Organizing Keepsakes and Memorabilia
Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys