Cat Froths at the Mouth When Given Medication

My cat froths at the mouth when I give her medication. I need advice!

Carla from Lakeside, CA

STOP!... Yes, STOP giving her this medication... This usually means she has an allergy to the meds. Call a vet & ask for advice from the receptionist.... Exactly WHAT medication are you giving her?

---> Would you keep giving a medication to yourself or your child if they foamed at the mouth?... I think not.... It's better to be safe than sorry! ... Your poor cat can't tell you what's wrong, call a vet & ask questions...

this happens to my cat when we have to give her a pill. I don't think she's allergic, I just think she gets so upset she foams at the mouth. It is such an ordeal to give her a pill. And after we give it to her, she gives us dirty looks the rest of the day. You could still call the vet though just to be sure.

TC in MO

It could be that she is allergic, but it could also be that she is just doing this. My cat slobbers all over the place when anyone tries to pill him. He is so hard to pill that my vet was unable to do it that last time I was there. Inquire from the vet if the medication that you are giving comes in a different type that may be more paletable. I had some pills that we very small, and must not have tasted bad, because I was able to get these into my cat without any trouble. Prior to those pills, I had to get help from my neighbour to get the medication into him, and there was saliva and drool all over the place.

Now, I am referring to just a lot of drool, although there is abit of frothiness to it. Your cat may have something else, or it may be the reaction to the taste of the pill.

It wouldn't hurt to call a vet to ease your mind, but I think this happens sometimes. I had to give a pill to my kitten one time and I didn't get it shoved in far enough on the first try and she started foaming. Scared me half to death, but she was fine once she swallowed it. Medication tastes just awful (to humans and pets!) and I think the foam was the medication and her saliva mixing and causing a mess. Next time I got the pill down her throat the first time and there were no problems. Good luck!

Pets CatsDecember 18, 2007
Applying Topical Flea Medication on Cats
Applying Topical Flea Medication on Pets
cat
Buying Generic Capstar Flea Medication
A puppy scratching at fleas.
Giving Medication to Pets
A dog with a thermometer in his mouth.
Keeping Track of Pet Medication
🎄
🍂