Best Window Cleaning Solutions

Category Windows
Using the most effective compound for cleaning windows will save you time and energy. This guide is about the best window cleaning solutions.

What is the best cleaning solution for windows?

Carol Mayo from Sun City, AZ

Best Answer

I use ammonia and water. I don't really measure it carefully, but I use about 1/4 cup in a quart-size spray bottle of water.

And I don't just use it for windows - it cleans practically anything!

Best Answer

I do my windows with dish detergent. There's a lot of good grease cutting dish detergents on the market that work splendidly. I'm one who gets out the ladder, the bucket of water and washing/drying rags. Keep your water clean and there won't be any streaks; that's the key. I live in the country and do outside windows twice a year, after farmers have their crops sown and after harvesting. I save the indoor ones for winter time cleaning; good exercise.

I've used vinegar water and dry windows with crumpleed newspaper which newsprint is so messy, but does a top rate job too.

I've also used Windex and other spray cleaners, but like the results better using dish detergent.

Best Answer

I use a micro cloth (for windows) and water with a dry micro cloth to finish. Easiest ever - NO streaks. We have very hard water here and I have had people ask what I use to get and keep the patio door glass so shiny.

Best Answer

My husband drives a cab and has to keep everything spotless! He says my home made solution works better than anything that comes from a store. Just a quick squirt of Dawn dishwashing liquid, 1/4 C white vinegar, 1 tablespoon of ammonia, and add water to make 24 ounces. He sprays it onto the glass while I spray it onto the cloth. Either way it works beautifully.

Best Answer

My grandmother always had the cleanest windows in town! She used white vinegar and wiped them with a newspapaer. Try it, it works!

Best Answer

I have a house which is 20% glass windows and glass doors. And I hate smeared windows in the car or truck. Recipe: one or two drops of dish washer liquid soap, about quarter cup of white vinegar, about the same rubbing alcohol and then fill with filtered water, a typical spray bottle of about 24 to 32 ounces. I use reverse osmosis drinking water which is almost pure H2O.

Unless you distilled the process (evaporate then condense) there is no such thing as 100% pure water. Spray on glass and then clean with plain steel wool, squeegee off wiping the squeegee with a clean towel after every single pass. Wipe areas as needed. Get various size squeegees, for big sliding glass doors get at least an 18 incher. Fast, easy, excellent results.

I add Isopropyl alcohol, bought a WalMart or grocery store for a buck or two, and add it to window cleaner then wipe with newspapers. Comes out pretty good.

We are on a water well & have all kinds of problems with lime buildup on everything that comes in contact with the water. To a 32 oz. spray bottle: 1 - 2 T. non-sudsing ammonia, 2/3 of the bottle filled with vinegar, & the rest is alcohol. I use newspaper--don't use newspaper with color on it because the color causes streaks. Also, it doesn't take as much spray as you think it does to clean a window--sometimes less is better. And because we have a flour mill about a mile away, I sometimes have to wash the outsides of the windows twice. This is also good for mirrors & using to get the 'water stains' off of kitchen & bathroom fixtures.

i/4 cup of ammonia, 1/4 cup of vinegar, 1 heaping tablespoon of cornstarch in a bucket of warm water. perfect!

SOS! Need product I can hose spray onto 2nd floor windows, that would have a sleeting action. No way to dry these windows. Help.