Garbage Bag Made From Newspaper

A few days ago someone posted a tip to use newspaper as a garbage bag. They said to line garbage with loose newspapers and at the end of the day just crumple papers with the days trash up into your outside garbage can. I like this idea but was wondering if their is a way to make an actual "bag" from the newspaper that would work as well as a normal plastic garbage bag. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tracey from Duluth, MN

Best Answer

You can easily use a grocery bag as a pattern, and then tape it together.

Best Answer

Yes, way back when I was a bride we lined our trash cans with newspapers. Using a brown paper bag as a pattern, you sew the bags together and making the gusset at the bottom.

Extra layers are put into the bottom section. Now, In this 'new fangled' age, styrofoam egg cartons,cereal boxes on side, plastic bag to be disposed of spread across bottom, or old magazine etc. strengths the bottom and prevents leaks coming through.

I used to make plant pots (to start seedlings) out of newspaper. You could probably make larger "bags" the same way. I don't remember where I found the instructions but I'm sure it was on the Web, I'm sorry I don't have the info any more. But it just required folding.

They were quite sturdy. Maybe something similar could be found under "origami" search. Or "gardening".

I read something that said you could sew them on your sewing machine. I haven't tried it, but I'm intrigued. It seems like you could lay a couple of layers flat, then fold it in half, then sew down the side and across the bottom. Drop it down into your wastepaper basket and push the bottom corners a bit to open them up.

The site you are looking for is:

I made this project and it was very easy. Good luck

Sorry, but it sounds like a lot of work to save a few bucks.

bag of garbage
Garbage Tips and Tricks
Better Living Green Living ReusingAugust 19, 2007
Plastic Newspaper Bag
Uses for Plastic Newspaper Bags
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer), Man's hands holding a power screwdriver to a garbage disposal.
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer)
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage
Jeans purse. Making a bootie bag from jeans.
Making a Bootie Bag from Jeans