Food FixesFood Tips

Too Much Salt in Homemade Canned Soup

My daughter-in-law and I were canning vegetable soup for the first time. We used too much salt. I don't know if we were both adding it or if I was too heavy handed with the shaker. Well it's canned. Any idea's on how to fix it would be appreciated. Thanks.

By mockingbird from Liberty, IN

When you reheat your soup, place a whole peeled potato in the pan. It should absorb the excess salt. Dicard the potato and enjoy the soup.

Do the potato thing, but I chop up and fry the boiled potato.

I think I remember reading somewhere that a slice of bread would also absorb it. When you go to make it, slowly pour it in the pan, leaving about a tablespoon of liquid in the bottom. I think some of the salt will settle to the bottom during storage.

I guess it depends on whether the broth is too salty or the whole jar is too salty. If only the broth is too salty, take off some of the broth and add water or veg juice without salt.

I don't know about lower-salt V8. If the whole jar including the veggies is too salty to eat, mash it up, add other cooked veggies and serve it with biscuits or dumplings. I have done this but only with a pot of soup, not with many cans. The best of luck to you.

Thank you' babbie &babymama! I did the potato. I opened a jar of our soup tonight peeled a potato &dropped it in! The soup was fantastic! Koodoos to you both, Mockingbird, Liberty, IN