Dishes from Dishwasher Look Cloudy

What do I do when dishes from the dishwasher start to look cloudy? Could it be from soap/hard water?

By Barbara from southern CA

This can be caused by a few things. Poor quality dish powder, hard water and probably the most likely... a clogged drain outlet. Have your spouse or a good handy friend remove the hose from the outlet and look to see if there is gunk in there. If there is give it a good cleaning and replace to original position. Once a month or so run a pot scrubber cycle with about a half a gallon of white vinegar, two-three packets of lemon koolaid (the add sugar kind) or 2 cups of non-sudsing ammonia and nothing else. (No powder.) It will help remove grease build up.

One of the TV stations here in Washington, DC ran a story on the problem of cloudy dishes. Nationwide, dishwasher detergents no longer contain phosphates, due to regulations in some states, and people everywhere are complaining that their glasses are cloudy. See ... Glasses_Washington_DC-106552498.html to watch the news story. Stay on the nbcwashington site, and search on "dishwasher" to see some of the solutions listeners came up with. Good luck!

In 2010 phosphates were removed from dishwasher detergents nationwide, due to regulations in some states. According to experts, phosphates were very effective at cleaning and preventing cloudiness and manufacturers have not yet found an adequate replacement for them. A local TV news story mentioned that many people are complaining of the same problem you are!

Other things to try, putting vinegar into the rinse cycle, about a cup, switching detergents. Too much soap can cause this problem as well.

You just have got to try Lemi Shine. I think it is advertised on this page. I actually read about it on the Pioneer Woman blog. It is truly amazing. I don't know what else to say. I recommend it to anyone who will listen. I love it so much I would do a commercial for it if I could!! I have been buying mine At Walmart and at Publix. Our water is very hard here. (central Florida) I will say that I also use a good detergent such as Electrosol Power Ball. Good Luck!!

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesJanuary 2, 2011
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
An open dishwasher full of clean dishes.
Fixing a Leaking Dishwasher
New Open Dishwasher
Saving Money on a Dishwasher