Use White Paper to Help Thread Needles

If you love to sew, but your eyesight makes threading a needle, put a piece of white paper behind the needle. The contrast will make it much easier to thread the needle. On a sewing machine, slide the paper between the needle and the presserfoot

Source: An article on how to live with diminished vision (common problem among the mature).

By MargaretGadd from El Paso, TX

Another needle threading tip, they sell needles called self-threading. Also, when someone with better sight than yours comes to visit, sit them down with a spool of thread (the color you use most often). Have them thread lots of needles onto the spool. Any time you want to sew, just pull the thread out along with the first needle, cut the thread, leaving the remaining needles on the spool.

It also helps to cut the thread holding the scissors diagonally to it, so you are threading a sharper pointed end through the needle.

April 23, 2009 Flag

Being an 'older lady', I find my eyesight is not as good as it once was and threading a sewing machine needle was a frustrating experience. One day I picked up a piece of white paper and put it behind the needle and easily threaded it. I think it would work for hand sewing needles as well.

Source: I think this is something that just occurred to me when I was sewing though it could have been something I read at one time.

By Pat from Phoenix, AZ

Use White Paper to Help Thread Needles

I do the same thing, works great. Even my bifocals are hard to see with and the white paper does the trick. (06/25/2008)

By theseamstress

Use White Paper to Help Thread Needles

I find the needle threaders work well on the sewing machine as well as regular needles. The white paper will make it even easier. (06/25/2008)

Use White Paper to Help Thread Needles

When I thread my machine I just move around so that the light and the silver color of the plate are showing through the eye of the needle. For hand sewing I just hold it so that there is some sort of contrast to the eye and the thread color. At 71, I need all the help I can get. The white paper sounds great though. I'll try that. Thanks! (06/25/2008)

By MartyD

Woman Threading a Sewing Needle
Threading Sewing Needles
Crafts SewingApril 23, 2009
Pine needle bunches tied with fabric.
Crafts Using Pine Needles
Storing Sewing Needles
Storing Sewing Needles
Red Sewing Thread
Crocheting With Sewing Thread