Securing Quilt Used as Area Rug

I have a quilt that has been in the family for several generations. I would love to use it as an area rug in my guest bedroom. Can anyone suggest how I can keep the quilt/rug in place, so it will not slide on the floor?

Rene from Iron City, TN

i forget what its called but walmart and big lots sells rolls of a type of rubber matting that is webbed and it comes in differant colors , widths and lenghts, and it works great for that, i use it on my chineele rugs that use to slip around. it also works well to keep anything from slidding or moving. i use it in my motorhome shelves to keep plates, pans etc from moving and its under our microwave in there which works. and i just added a tiny piece under my sewing machine to keep it from sliding off my antique metal table as a sew. just go to the section where they sell mops, etc you'll see it there starting at .99 cent for the cheapest one which is like 12 inches wide by 3 feet then the sizes just get bigger and prices go up a bit higher. even lowes has it. soory but i can not recall the name of it at the moment.

I'm not sure if you are serious or trying to get a reaction. If I were lucky enough to have a quilt that survived "several generations", I surely wouldn't put it on the floor to be ruined by walking on it. If you want everyone to see it, you could use it on the bed or hang it on the wall.

I'm with mckaysatt. If you use it as a rug it will tear up in no time. Please consider hanging it on a wall like the work of art that it is. Or do you want to use it as a rug because it's already in bad shape? If so, cut it into pieces and frame them, make pillows, make a headboard, etc....

mckaysatt , I'm definitely serious! The quilt needs a lot of repair, and my extra bedroom has little or no traffic for months on end! So said, I do appreciate your feedback. Thanks to theseamstress for your advice.

how about a quilt rack ? Easily enough done :long wooden towel rack !

Please hang on wall or quilt rack. Do a little mending. If you have a grand baby or one on the way see if you can salvage some of the quilt for the baby. What a wonderful thing to pass down.

How did your quilted rug turn out? I have a quilt I am turning into a area rug due to the damage as well. I have gone to Lowe's and gotten a non-slip rug pad to put under my quilt.

Home and Garden Home Improvement FlooringJanuary 20, 2008
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt
A pile of old photos.
Making a Photo Quilt
Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
Cleaning Area Rugs
🎄