Why Do My Fresh Herbs Taste Bitter?

I have never planted herbs before, but went to the nursery and chose 4 for a patio pot. I have chives, lavender, parsley, and rosemary. I pinched them and tasted and they were terribly bitter! So I clipped the old foliage and the new that is growing back is bitter, also. What is wrong? I could never use this in a salad, etc. The worker at the nursery potted them for me, so I don't know what he used. Any ideas? Thanks, as this is my first time asking a question.

By J.R. from Moultrie, GA

Answers

Rosemary and lavender naturally have a bitter taste. There is more than one variety of chives. If you do not pick the flowers off your parsley, they will become bitter or go to seed.

Home and Garden Gardening HerbsJuly 10, 2010
red spray bottle
Homemade Bitter Apple Spray
dried spices
How Long Do Dried Herbs and Spices Last?
Drying and Storing Herbs
Drying Herbs
Herbs
Freezing Herbs
🎄