Buy Loose Mushrooms Instead of Pre-Packaged

I buy loose white mushrooms by the pound instead of the pre- packaged ones. They are bigger, plumper and fresher. They do cost a little more but I get a 1/2 lb. which is usually the cost of the packaged 10 oz. mushrooms. I trim the stem and peel the skin as soon as I can; then cut them into slices and store in fridge. They have a beautiful clean white look to them. No need to wash them unless you feel you still must. This takes less than 5 minutes. They last over 2 weeks in fridge this way and are ready for a salad, pizza, or whatever. I always had to throw out some of the pre-packaged mushrooms because they turn brown so fast - usually in a week. So in the end, not only are the loose mushrooms fresher and last longer but actually cheaper because of less waste.

By xintexas from San Antonio, TX

That is a very good idea to buy the loose mushrooms. When I buy mushrooms, as soon as I get them home, I gently rinse and slice, spray a plate with Pam, and lay the slices on it and then freeze. When they are frozen, I put them in zip lock bags. This way they don't stick to each other, You can just take out your slices and use them frozen in cooking like pizza or omelets. Comes out great. :)

Ohh I like. Cant wait to try it. Thanks

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsJune 30, 2010
Freezing Mushrooms
Freezing Mushrooms
Large Jar of Canned Mushrooms
Canning Mushrooms
Wood with a screw in it.
Fixing a Loose Screw in Wood
Mushrooms cooking in a skillet.
Sauteing Mushrooms