Real Southern Iced Tea

Boil a pan of water enough to fill a gallon pitcher. In the meantime, put enough sugar in the bottom of the pitcher to suit your taste. Use the same amount you would use if you were just pouring the sugar into the tea.

When the water is boiling, put the pitcher in the sink (this is to keep from spilling boiling water on yourself) and pour just enough water in the pitcher (about a cup or two) so that you can stir it and make a syrup out of it. Turn heat off of water and add a dash of baking soda (this keeps the tea clear and takes any bitterness out). Add 4 large tea bags and let it simmer long enough for your taste. Some people like light tea and some people like dark tea. So it depends on how you like it as to how long you simmer it. I use a spaghetti strainer to pull out the tea bags and put them in a small bowl. Makes it so much easier to throw away or recycle the bags.

Then pour the tea into the pitcher in the sink. It's safer that way, believe me! Stir and refrigerate. The whole trick is to make the sugar syrup and the baking soda. I promise you. You will not be able to keep enough of this tea on hand. Good luck and sit back and enjoy a delicious glass of "Real" Southern tea!

By MobeaB from Texas City, TX

Thanks so much for your tips! I finally was able to make "perfect" tea according to my husband! Your recipe is the best!

Food and Recipes Food Tips BeveragesJuly 21, 2010
Sweet Tea
Sweet Tea Recipes
Iced Tea Tips and Tricks
Iced Tea Tips and Tricks
real estate agent
Selecting a Real Estate Agent
Summer drinks
Avoiding Watered Down Iced Drinks
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 17, 2016 at 7:29:43 PM on 10.0.1.65 in 942 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.