Sweet Tea Recipes

Category Cool Drinks
Sweet Tea
There are many delicious ways to make this southern favorite iced tea. This page contains sweet tea recipes.

Take a plain glass measuring cup and fill it to 1 cup of water and add 1 single tea bag (I like Tetley round family size). Microwave a couple of minutes until boiling. Next pour 1 1/2 cups sugar in a gallon size plastic container and then pour the measuring cup with tea bag in the container and leave that tea bag and keep adding water to it until container is full. Be careful because it will be hot.

Delicious and quick sweet, southern tea with less mess and waste, using the one tea bag and the sugar just instantly melts from the hot tea. Now, refrigerate and pour you a glass with some ice cubes in it and ENJOY! You will never make tea on the stove again!

Source: My sweet Mother.

By Karen from Union, SC

I need a good recipe for southern sweet tea. When I add sugar to my glass I get a raw feeling in my bottom throat. I was thinking down south they melt the sugar and then add it to the tea. Also is there a way to brew the tea in the microwave?

Thanks in advance,
Nancy from Hale, MO

Hey! I am from Maben, Mississippi and here's how we do it! Bring one quart of fresh cold water to a rolling boil, drop in one family size tea bag, cover the pot and remove from heat. Let sit for ten minutes. Put one cup of sugar into a gallon pitcher (more or less according to taste). Remove tea bag from and pour over sugar, stir until dissolved. Fill pitcher with cold water and stir. I have made tea in the microwave by boiling the water in it first, then following the above recipe (I put a dinner plate on the microwaveable bowl to cover it). I have also put the tea bag into the basket of my coffee pot (with no filter and 10 cups of water) to make the hot part then pouring that into the pitcher with the sugar and adding the cold water. ADDITIONAL NOTES: My little sister uses 2 family size tea bags because she likes it stronger - my older sister uses 1 1/2 cups sugar because she likes it sweeter and our Mama uses 1 cup Splenda because she's on the Atkins Diet!

i use 2 qts. water and 4 single use tea bags. put both in a tea kettle or large sauce pan and bring to a boil. let set for just a few minutes before pouring into a pitcher with 1 c sugar. make sure the tea is still hot when adding the sugar otherwise it doesn't disolve as well. strangely enough, the best tea bags we've found as been the cheap dollar general version, 100 bags for a dollar. hope that helps.

I'm from Pennsylvania so this might be a northern way to make iced tea. I ONLY use Lipton Tea Bags.

This makes a gallon.

Boil a pot of water and add 7 or 8 tea bags, shut off the heat and let it cool a little. I make my tea in a clean empty milk jug. Add about 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar. Then pour in your tea. Shake it well so the sugar dissolves and fill up the jug the rest of the way with water. Put it in the fridge or you can drink it right away with ice cubes.

I've also made it in the coffee maker. Tastes the same as if you made it on the stove. Just fill your coffee maker with water -- a full pot. Put the tea bags in the pot and turn it on. When it cools make your tea.

My husband lived in Georgia for 2 years before we got married and became hooked on sweet tea! To make in the microwave I "boil" 4 cups cold water in a pyrex measuring cup and let 8 regular tea bags steep for about 10 minutes or so depending on how strong I want to make the tea. Then add 1/2 to 1 cup sugar, again more or less to taste, to the bottom of a pitcher and pour the hot tea over and stir to dissolve the sugar and add 4 cups cold water. This makes 2 quarts.

You can also make "liquid" sugar by mixing equal parts sugar and water, bringing to a boil just until the sugar disolves. I make a batch and keep in a squeeze bottle in the fridge for sweeting tea and coffee. Especially when I get a craving for sweet tea in Janurary and don't want to make a big jug!

Hope this helps!

Rebekah

I use a gallon size pitcher. Fill 3/4 full with hot water, put desired amount of sugar into hot water in pitcher, stir until dissolved. I only use Luzianne brand tea bags, I put three tea bags into cold water in small saucepan and bring almost to boil. Remove from heat before boiling. Pour into pitcher of hot sugar water, holding tea bags with wooden spoon to prevent them from falling into pitcher, stir well, put in fridge. Serve over ice. Tastes better after chilled. You can fill pitcher only half full of hot water, add sugar, then, after adding hot tea, finish filling with ice cubes to speed the chilling process.

I am a GRITS [Girl Raised In The South] and I use only Lipton Tea. The simplest way to make yummy sweet tea is to use 3 Cold Brew tea bags in a gallon pitcher. After the short brewing time, simply add

1 1/4 cups sugar. For less sweet tea, cut back slightly on the sugar. Then, refrigerate.

Rather than using straight sugar which doesn't dissolve well once the tea is made, either use superfine sugar (bar sugar, dissolves easier) or make a simple syrup (better), boiling equal parts sugar and water until dissolved then cool. Can be kept in fridge (not sure how long though). Measures just like sugar. Good Luck.

Well I am a southern gal also and I use Walmart tea bags and they are just as good as anything else to me and I have been drinking tea since I got off formula, lol. I have two ways of making tea. During the summer its sun tea. Fill a gallon glass pitcher with lid, we use a pickle jar, with water and five small tea bags or three big ones and screw the lid on tight. Sit out in the sun for about an hour till as dark as you like it. Remove tea bags and add desired amount of sugar. The rest of the year I make it in a coffeemaker, I have two, one for coffee one for tea. I fill up carafe and put tea bags in basket and brew, then pour it in a gallon jug and add desired amount of sugar to hot liquid. Fill rest of way with water. I use a cup and a half, I grew up on two cups of sugar, but have cut back as I got older.