Russian Tea Recipes

Category Tea
Russian tea is a delicious blend of tea, citrus, and spices that may become addictive. This page contains Russian tea recipes.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

This makes such a nice gift for the holidays, especially put in a pretty jar with the recipe and mixing instructions on a nice little card and ribbon! Or, you can buy a nice cup, put some of the tea in a plastic bag, and give it wrapped in colored cellophane and a bow!

In large bowl, mix 8 oz. each of Tang (generic is fine), and instant tea mix. Add 1 large package of Lemonade powder mix. You may want to turn you head when you pour them in, as the ascorbic powder cloud can make you cough! Add 1/2 Tbsp. nutmeg and 1 Tbsp. cinnamon.

To use mix: Using a well rounded tablespoon, pour into cup with very hot water. If it isn't strong enough, keep adding by tsp. only. Sweeten to taste.

I have had this since high school home-ec. The original recipe called for 8 cups of sugar, but that seemed to bulk it up, and got hard. This is cheaper, easier and the people you give it to can sweeten it with honey, Splenda, Equal or sugar.

By Sandra from Salem, OR

Love the sweetness of this tea.

• 2 cups Tang drink mix
  • 1/2 cup instant tea with lemon
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • Ad

• 1/2 tsp. cloves
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Directions:

Mix together. Add 1-2 tsp. to cup of boiling water.

Servings: varies
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 0 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup instant tea
  • 2 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2 cups Tang
  • 1 tsp. cloves
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 packages Kool-Aid lemonade

Directions

Mix ingredients together. Store in covered jar. Dissolve 2-3 tsp. in 1 cup hot water and serve.

By Robin from Washington, IA

• 2/3 cup instant tea
  • 1 cup Tang orange drink mix or generic
  • 1/3 cup lemonade instant mix
  • 1/4 tsp. cloves
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:

Mix ingredients together and store in a jar. Add 2 tsp. and mix to hot water for 1 cup tea. For a cool summer drink, alter the recipe by adding mix to cold water. Add 1/2 cup mix to teapot of water for a larger tea party.

By Robin

Ingredients

• 2 tsp. allspice
  • 2 tsp. whole cloves
  • 5 sticks cinnamon
  • water
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 6 small tea bags
  • juice of 4 oranges or 2 cup diluted frozen orange juice
  • juice of 4 lemons or 8 Tbsp. canned juice
  • 2 1/2 cup pineapple juice

Directions

Make cloth bag for spices. Put bag into 1 qt. water and boil 10 minutes. Add sugar, then cool. Put tea bags into 1 qt. boiling water and steep 10 minutes. Add juices and enough water to make 1 gallon liquid. Let stand if possible. Refrigerate and heat as wanted.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup instant tea
  • 1 cup Tang orange drink mix
  • 1/3 cup lemonade instant mix
  • 1/4 tsp. cloves
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Directions

Mix ingredients together and store in a jar. Add 2 tsp. and mix to hot water for 1 cup tea. You may wish to adjust amount to taste. For a cool summer drink, alter the recipe by adding mix to cold water for a larger tea party. For additional fun, invite a Russian to tea and see if he/she has ever tasted it!

By Robin from Washington, IA

I make a spice tea mix with instant tea, lemonade mix, Tang, sugar, and spices. After a short time it starts to clump together. It is no longer dry.
What can I do to keep it from getting clumpy and moist?

By Sherry D

Answers

Make a little package out of cotton gauze, fill it with uncooked rice & put it in the container to help dry it out. Always use a clean dry spoon to dispense your tea mix, then it should stay dry. I use a plastic scoop from powdered drink mix and just leave it in the container.

Anonymous

I store mine in quart and pint mason jars, also those cute locking lid jars work well also.

I am searching for a Russian Blue Tea. If anyone knows where I can find it, please advise. Thank you,

Barbara from Venice, FL

Answers

I've never had Russian "Blue" Tea but I do know how to made Russian Tea, I give it as part of my Christmas Baskets every year.

Mix together
1 cup unsweetened ice tea powder,
1/2 cup Tang,
1/2 cup lemon aid mix,
a teaspoon each of Clove powder and cinnamon and
a 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg.

You can adjust the spices however you like but you can not use sugar free drink mixes. If you like it you can add other spices (think mulled wine).

Stir a couple teaspoons of the mix into a cup of hot water and you have a comforting drink.

I first tasted this at a fancy-shmancy art gallery my friend dragged me to: the art was horrible but the tea was wonderful! And like I said, in a pretty glass container it makes a good gift since the clove powder makes it look like a stratified sand sculpture.

Most "Russian" blue teas come from former Russian republics like Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan. Instability in these areas has made these teas scarce. I would try to find an Iranian (Persian) market in your area if you don't have a large Tajik or Kyrgysh population near by. Good luck!